INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Orion Starshoot Autoguider

• Thank you received: 1

Make sure the server is running inside PHD2. There is an option in one of the drop down menus.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Jon Belanger.
7 years 5 months ago #11417

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I can show you what I'm doing, when are you available? Teamviewer is the best way though, it's an easy install.
7 years 5 months ago #11418

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by John S. on topic Orion Starshoot Autoguider

I actually am at work right now so I can't actually set up the gear to do anything. I am pretty sure my issue is just a setting error based on the fact that I have had control of the guider but either changed something or something went south. I think knro's last response may have been the key I needed. I am pretty sure I set PHD2 to use the native QHY5 driver instead of INDI camera. I bet it was conflicting with the INDI conenction in Ekos to the guide camera. Hopefully tonight all will be nirvana. :) I will post a follow up and let you know my findings. Thanks again for all of the help. If this fails tonight, I will set teamviewer and get one of you guys to look over my settings.
7 years 5 months ago #11423

Active Indi driver conflicting with PHD2 grabbing control of the USB device is an exact issue I ran into last night I think. Just make sure only one system is using the guider I think, although not sure what *should* work with respect to multiple programs using the same device.

Actually, knro, I'm having trouble getting capture from PHD2 connected via the Indi devices after the latest updates. It used to work fine. It seems to grab a single frame then stops, but no errors. Ekos by itself and PHD2 by itself is fine. Just FYI if this rings a bell, I can run with PHD2 locally for now.
7 years 5 months ago #11429

I'm going to test it tonight directly on the RPI3, so will let you guys know if there are any issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Belanger
7 years 5 months ago #11434

Copy that, it's in the Options menu inside the Guider Module.

Jasem VNC'd into my Pi this morning and gave me a walk through; there were a couple settings I wasn't using properly in PHD. In the end, he said there was something he needed to look at with PHD that was an issue as well, but I don't know. He also mentioned he'll try to get around to making a Youtube or document walk through for setting up PHD properly. It was a short session but VERY helpful- "Thank you, Jasem!".

Good news is that it's not a connection problem with my equipment; everything appears to be working. It all boils down to me pushing the right buttons :)
7 years 5 months ago #11436

What were the settings you weren't using properly in PHD2 and how do you use them properly? Thanks!
7 years 5 months ago #11437

Well, in PHD2, I was selecting my QHY5 as my camera and it has to be INDI Camera and INDI Mount in the camera and mount settings. He started INDI server first with the normal connections (I'm using the QHY5 camera for my SSAG) and connected to all the gear there. THEN, he opened PHD2 via the terminal and connected to an INDI camera and INDI mount.

I changed the port setting in the Options tab from within the Guider Module to match the port that PHD2 told me it was using when I ran the setup wizard (I think it was 7642?). He didn't change that, so I guess I did that right. I think the default in Ekos was 4400 or something like that.

Inside the Guider Module, he left the camera as QHY and the mount is EQMod Mount for my setup since I'm not using ST4 and my mount driver is EQMod.

Having said that, Jasem seemed to identify some other problem because I don't think things were going the way he expected at that point. So he told me he needed to go check some stuff. I suspect we'll hear back from him soon enough.
7 years 5 months ago #11438

No actually that was wrong!!! And I was sitting there wondering why am I getting all these weird message in Ekos via the VNC session! You made Ekos listens to itself!! PHD2 server listens on 4400, put it back there! If you do now everything will work. I just tested PHD2 + Ekos on Pi _directly_ and no problems.
7 years 5 months ago #11439

AH! Well that would explain it, wouldn't it. As expected....another user error on my part.

OK, so let me make sure I understand completely here. When you run the PHD2 wizard, it identifies the PHD port as 7642. Do I change that to 4400 or leave it alone?

And, I will change the Ekos Port number back to 4400 in the Options tab of the Guider Module and stop touching things I don't understand :oops:

I'm trainable, I promise!

Maybe I should write what I think are instructions for using PHD2 with Ekos and let you read them. I can review what I learned, you can correct the stupid things I learned wrong, and then we'd have a set of instructions an idiot can use B)
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by James Taylor.
7 years 5 months ago #11471

I ran PHD2 today for first time on RPI3, it didn't ask me port number. If it tells you 7624, that's the INDI Server port, not PHD2 port.

PHD2 port is used to _control_ PHD2
INDI server port is used to _control_ INDI

The port specified in the GUIDE options in Ekos for PHD2 is of course default PHD2 port of 4400 which shouldn't change unless for some reason you change PHD2 default port. So in short, none of these settings need to be changed or touched at all from the beginning. So change PHD2 port in Ekos guide options to 4400.
7 years 5 months ago #11472

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by John S. on topic Orion Starshoot Autoguider

It looks like I may have forgotten to submit a reply earlier. I have gotten PHD2 to consistently recognize my camera as long as I don't use the INDI drivers. If I run PHD2 and select the QHY5 driver and on camera for the mount, I am able to consistently connect to and capture with my SSAG. If I use the INDI Camera selection it does not work for me. I don't mind running PHD2 separately from Ekos, but would ultimately like it to work with the INDI driver so I can use the Ekos internal guiding if I choose to do so. I am not sure if it make a difference or not here, but I am running my setup locally on a Linux Mint 17 install. I have multiple laptops setup for it. I am currently not using a Pi3 nor am I doing a headless operation. I wanted to keep things as simple as possible for now.
7 years 5 months ago #11473

Time to create page: 0.828 seconds