INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Drivers/SDK for new QHY cameras?

• Thank you received: 6
Does anyone know if there is some working driver for new QHY cameras (USB3 series)? I had some email exchange with Lee from QHY, but he stopped replying around a month ago. I went as far as loading firmware to QHY163. The SDK from github seems to be broken. Does anyone have any more luck with these cameras in Linux?

milosz
7 years 4 months ago #12002

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I take it current QHY driver no not work? You got logs from them?
7 years 4 months ago #12007

• Thank you received: 32
I never heard from Lee either. He promised he was working on the binning issue, but no dice.
7 years 4 months ago #12010

Yep, they don't work. I'll try to collect some logs and post them here. It seems that the current firmware is correct though (the one from SDK). At least it loads properly and re-enumerates the camera as expected.
7 years 4 months ago #12054

I forced software binning in QHY driver so no need for him to work on it as the QHY SDK binning is not reliable to begin with.
7 years 4 months ago #12061

Looks like sth is going to change. QHY started some sort of 'developers programme':
qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5602.0
I'm planning to apply shortly :)

milosz
7 years 3 months ago #13097

• Thank you received: 46
They want an NDA, which means you wont be able to publish any sources. It's about as useless as providing broken binaries unless you just want to write something for yourself.
7 years 3 months ago #13137

I don't agree it's useless. It's a step in the good direction. I can spend months trying to reverse engineer the protocol and release the sources. With protocol in hand the route is a bit shorter. In the current form NDA is too restrictive. It doesn't even allow to release binaries. I'm trying to convince QHY that this isn't the right way to go. Let's keep fingers crossed they release their protocol code in the open :)

milosz
7 years 3 months ago #13139

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Drivers/SDK for new QHY cameras?

All these driver issues with small companies are a complete joke (this is not the first time I experience this sort of thing...). Why don't they release their drivers as open source such that they can get some help fixing new and old bugs? Obviously they can not by themselves manage to do this, so thay might as well get some help from all their great customers, some of which would be happy to fix some bugs for free such that their expensive hardware would actually work!
7 years 3 months ago #13140

This is exactly the point. My feeling is there are 2 options:
a) they don't know/understand this is possible (maintaining the driver in the open)
b) they think there is some IP in the driver.

I really hope it's a) and QHy can be persuaded to open their USB drivers. I hope I'm not overoptimistic :)

milosz
7 years 3 months ago #13141

Time to create page: 0.950 seconds