INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

can't take short exposure with SX-694

• Thank you received: 3
I can not make bias with the SX694.
Whether it's in 1 second or 1/1000 second, the picture is the same, with a much too high background level.
With no Windows PC I can not use the software provided by Starlight to generate my bias ...
Is it a driver or configuration problem?
6 years 7 months ago #18540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
Hi, what locale do you use? Typical mistake is to use decimal "," instead of ".". Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 7 months ago #18554

Thank you for the idea, but the locale is ok.
The duration is well taken into account with my ASI178MM, and the bias obtained with this last camera are correct.
6 years 7 months ago #18560

I have 694 as well and will try it with recent INDI build, but I'm out this week, so please be patient. I'm using it regularly (well, on Mac and not with INDI) and this also happen sometime if camera is not properly powered (I usually plug power cord to the fan instead of camera itself). Peter
6 years 7 months ago #18561

Thank you very much Peter
6 years 7 months ago #18570

So I made a couple of experiments with SX694 dark frames with both INDI driver and INDIGO driver. The difference is, that while INDI implementations uses only computer timed exposures, INDIGO uses much more accurate camera timed exposures for short times. Implementations are so different, that they hopefully do not share some common bugs :)

For INDI the pixel value averages for 10s, 1s, 0.5s and 0.0025s were 1819, 1705, 1699 and 1700, for INDIGO 1821, 1711, 1702 and 1700. Values are not 100% consistent for INDI, because computer time measurement is not so accurate, but in both cases the average for the BIAS is 1700.

What exactly do you mean by "too hight background level"? Peter
6 years 7 months ago #18832

My raw images taken in SII with an exposure time of 60 "have a very low signal. When I calibrated them with my old master bias the result was catastrophic.
Indeed I had made this one with INDI but in LIGHT mode and not BIAS. Result, even with an exposure time of 0.001 secs, in reality the exposure was of the order of 1 sec.

I have just done a bias, but in BIAS mode, and this time actually no matter how long it takes, I see in the FITS header a duration of 0.0001 sec.
So I have calibrated my images again with this new bias, and this time I have a correct result.

The error came from the fact that I had forgotten to check the box BIAS :)
6 years 6 months ago #18872

Time to create page: 0.641 seconds