INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ATIK One 6.0 support - OSX drivers.. and what next

• Thank you received: 10
Just a note to peter - I've passed the R1.26 driver source to ATIK so that should be available to you shortly.

I'm quite happy with the drivers as they stand in the OSX form.. being a C++ driver with an Objective-C wrapper it should be easy to top'n'tail.

Here's the drivers working with the new ATIK One 6.0 at a recent SGL star party last week:

Where next with the drivers? Well portability I think is the next target.. although the base level transport is more efficient than usblib as it uses direct user buffer filling straight from the OSX USB I/O user driver interface rather than having a separate buffer.. I'm going to add a libusb transport and C++ based management. I'll also add GP guider support at the same time to maintain complete coverage..

Here's my crop of the daytime moon with the ATIK One - single exposure with red filter.. no darks or flats (and a dirty objective lens!):
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by NickK.
9 years 11 months ago #953
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
Hi Nick, nice :)

We're trying maintain unix-wide source compatibility of our driver, we have still much more users on Linux than on MacOS X. We are just working on a version with separated USB driver and INDI wrapper (both C++) so the USB driver can be used with another software as well (e.g. lin_guider). If you will have similar philosophy maybe it is a time to merge our USB drivers to a common shared library and use it both for INDI and AOSX.

You are right, libusb is probably not as efficient as native API, but portability is a priority for us (and for couple of MB/hour it makes no difference).

Peter
9 years 11 months ago #954

It certainly makes sense to combine.

I think it's important to recognise there's a slightly wider set of use scenarios than just pure astro (although the majority overlap):
* OSX portability - with minimal rework required for windows, OSX and linux.
* Driver transport that allows usblib and a direct usb transport - for maximum speed.
* There may be features that the drivers expose that may not be needed by INDI but these need to be available.

Accepting that means a considerable reduction in duplication all around, whilst providing both DSO imaging and realtime imaging.

Btw - I'm quite happy to work with INDI.. recent day job changes in responsibility means I have less time than I used to! Perhaps I should put up a hello introduction post..
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
9 years 11 months ago #958

• Thank you received: 174
Yes, I agree with everything... I already wrote to Steve to allow you to access our code (and vice-versa) in Atik SVN.
9 years 11 months ago #959

Hi Peter,
I've been focusing on finalising some outstanding issues with the ATIKOSXDrivers - I found one really nasty issue caused by a bug on my side but masked by OSX returning a single error codes for a group of issues (including buffer under run). I only found this out by looking back at the old open source Apple OSX source code..
This caused issues with the 4000/11000 which have been resolved, and the upfront flushing now takes 9 seconds rather than the original 1m30s!

So - release R1.30 is current out in binary format and I'll be sending the sources to ATIK as per usual.

Sorting out my SVN access is on my list.
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by NickK.
9 years 10 months ago #1142

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds