INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Using 3 cameras at once?

• Thank you received: 0
Hi. Sorry if this question was already asked.

I'm currently using an Atik 414 for science imaging and an ASI-290MM for guiding.
However the FOV is very small and the astrometry rarely solves.
So I want to add an ASI-120MM-S attached to a 50mm scope for astrometry solving.

That means 3 cameras in the setup (although 1 only used for astrometry). Will this work with Ekos/INDI?

Thanks in advance!
5 years 11 months ago #24811

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yes it should, you can add the 3rd camera in one of the AUX dropdowns. Let me know if it works for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo, Dennis Means, Theor
5 years 11 months ago #24813

Replied by Theor on topic Using 3 cameras at once?

Thank you Jasem. Following your answer I've ordered the camera, I should receive it in a couple weeks.

Should I forget to post my results, it will mean it all worked well!
5 years 11 months ago #24817

Hello and PMFJI,

I would like to run two cameras simultaneously and have the third for guiding. Connection is ok, I can talk to all cameras, set sequences and get pictures. But how to run two sequences in parallel?
Sorry, if this is obvious and I am just too blind to see :) But I could not find a reference to this.

Thank you.
Torsten
5 years 10 months ago #25975

There is no way to run 2 sequences in parallel in Ekos.
5 years 10 months ago #25977

So I would need another KStars/Ekos to control the second imaging cam? Do you see any possibility to somehow synchronise two instances or have one control the other to make use of dithering?

Thank you :)
Torsten

PS: Sorry for posting the last question multiple times. I had missed the notice that the posts are reviewed before showing up.
5 years 10 months ago #25980

It _might_ be possible to use another KStars instance to run a similar sequence. I guess you can try to see if that would works. Never tried it myself.
5 years 10 months ago #25981

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,

I have actually managed to do exactly run two DSLRs (450D AND 550D) simultaneously as suggested by Jasem using two instances of Kstars locally on a machine.

The first instance has the mount, guider and 450D on my Skywatcher 120ED and the 2nd instance just runs the one device (550D).

I uncheck guiding deviations on the second instance and it essentially runs the same schedule as the first instance. I have tried 5 seconds delay between subs and haven't seen any noticeable degradation with the camera shutters firing at different times.

The next session I am going to run dithering with more delay between subs to allow the first instance to do it's thing and then by the time it's done the second slave instance should be firing in time to allow capture without any movements since that has been accomplished by the first instance. Hope that makes sense.

I am using an ACER r3710 dual core pc and it can handle all processing with two cameras simultaneously. A true testament to the work everyone has put i INDI because in the past i tried two instances of AstroPhotographtTool (APT) programs and my i7 laptop struggled controlling two the two cameras.

Also, I don't have the fits previews running because i don't want to burden the slow ACER nettop too much.

Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric, Torsten Daiber
5 years 10 months ago #25984

Thanks for your experience. As a quick test, I just launched a second instance of KStars on my Pi3B and it worked, although not yet doing guiding or even connected to a scope/mount. But it worked at least in this test with an ASI1600 and a 183 without any problem, all frames were saved. Can't wait to test it under real conditions :)

Torsten
5 years 10 months ago #25986

• Thank you received: 95

Replied by Oleg on topic Using 3 cameras at once?

On the other hand, you can:
1. open two terminals to run two copies of indiserver with drivers
2. use these copies with two CCDciel
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Oleg.
5 years 10 months ago #26024
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Andreas on topic Using 3 cameras at once?

Hi there,

if dithering is active, does the sequencer wait for settling after dithering between exposures or must this be done by delay time?
Or is the guidemodule sending some "dithering performed and settled" signal for the sequencer is listening to? Is it like this with external guiders?
If one session of ekos is mastering the guider and scope and other sessions just listen to that guider saying "dithering ok", than the sessions would be synced and multicamera operation was easy.

Andreas
5 years 10 months ago #26061

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Using 3 cameras at once?

A bit of an old topic, but I am curious. Has anyone done any more work with 3+ cameras? It would be amazing to guide with my off-axis, capture wide-field with the 1600MC and go deep with the 1600MM.
4 years 2 months ago #47636

Time to create page: 1.403 seconds