INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Should I give up trying to use my ASI120MC on RPi3?

• Thank you received: 5
Since more than a year I interrupted my activities and started again with testing the use of my Pentax K-5 on KStars. Now that was OK I bought a RPi3 and tried to set up the whole system as I left it more than a year ago including now my K5.
To my big surprise my ASI120MC did not work anymore in Linux.
More than a year ago I was able to guide with the same device but on a RPi2, I am absolutely sure.

Could someone give me a shortcut to what to do to have the ASI120MC working again in the system? I know that RPi3 is equipped with USB3 and in the past already USB2 was critical under linux. Should I really give up trying because ASI120MC is not USB3 at all or is their a solutions found in the meantime?
I read I needed to flash the camera's firmware, what I did but without result.
Regards,

Stefan
5 years 10 months ago #25808

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
The problem with the ASI120MC is that the firmware doesn't follow the USB2 protocol well. It uses a 1024 byte bandwith while the USB2 protocol allows 512 bytes at most. The camera doesn't work on modern Linux kernels anymore, nor on the latest Mac OS X versions. It still works on Windows.

There is a patch for the firmware that should fix the issue for you. I have tried it myself and for me it didn't but I have read reports of people who successfully flashed their ASI cameras.
5 years 10 months ago #25811

• Thank you received: 420
5 years 10 months ago #25813

• Thank you received: 5
Thanks WVREEVEN, you were right!
I flashed the ZWO with new firmware, but making use of the ASI120MC.iic without result.
The message you pointed to mentions a command pointing towards ASI120MC-compatible.iic version without explanation, and this one works fine.

Problem solved and sorry for bothering.

Regards,

Stefan
5 years 10 months ago #25819

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds