INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[QHY] Cooling/warming time (ramp)

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
my very first post here.

I was wondering if there's some chance to configure the cooling/warming ramp.
For instance, I would like to bring the camera (qhy183 in my case) from 20°C to -20°C in a desired time (eg: 10 minutes)

Is this already implemented?
5 years 5 months ago #30633

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's not implemented in the SDK. You can ask QHY in their forum to add this feature to the SDK and we shall support it in the INDI driver.
5 years 4 months ago #31136

• Thank you received: 1
I just started getting my new setup (QHY163m) working on a fresh install of indi and temperature ramping was one of the first things i started looking for. Is there still no way to ramp temperature?

Even if it's not in the SDK it seems like an easy application level thing to implement (sgp does it). I would probably rather the application have control of it anyway tbh. Seems like it would be safer for the sensor.
3 years 10 months ago #54269

I suppose it can be implemented in the driver if the camera has MANUAL PWM control. So PWM can be increased slightly until target temperature is reached then it switches to automatic regulation?
3 years 10 months ago #54272

• Thank you received: 138

Why not have a go at implementing this yourself? The sources are all available. Once you get something going then I'm sure Jasem would welcome this addition.
3 years 10 months ago #54273

I don't know much about the sdk, but if it only accepted target temp, couldn't you just ramp it up by setting the target temp every T/N seconds, where N is the number of steps and T is the ramp time?
3 years 10 months ago #54346

yes, that's also possible. Are there any usual defaults for the ramp values?
3 years 10 months ago #54350

• Thank you received: 226
How about this methodology?
  1. Set temp
  2. Divided delta-temp into 5 degree increments
  3. Settle for 30 seconds between increments
3 years 10 months ago #54354

I've been trying to find some actual data on the subject but all I've found so far is recommendations to raise temperature "gradually" to avoid thermal shock. This is from the QHY163m manual:

>9. How to protect the cooler in QHY163M?
The cooler in QHY163M can lower the CMOS temperature to a value that’s almost 40 degrees centigrade below the ambient temperature. So you need to be careful to avoid thermal shock, which refers to when the cooler’s temperature rises or fall dramatically, the cooler is subjected to strong internal stress due to contraction principle. Drastic thermal shock can shorten cooler’s service life or permanently break it.
So when you begin to adjust the CMOS temperature, you should avoid setting “Cooler Power” to its maximum value, and you should gradually turn up the “Cooler Power” value. When you turn off the power, if the “Cooler Power” value is very big, you should gradually turn it down before turn off the power.

I also read that ZWO camera firmware has a built in 5minute period.
3 years 10 months ago #54356

Time to create page: 0.758 seconds