INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon DSLR Difficulties...

• Thank you received: 19
Hey there.

Because of the "great-wheather-catastrophe" the last 3 weeks i did a lot of testing with indi.
I attached a guiding scope with guiding cam instead of my mgen on the off axis guider
Additionally i installed the inde web werver on my linux laptop, that stays outside next to my mount, to test controlling the system from inside on my macbook.
All in all it works quite good but i found some behaviour of the system, i can not really understand.

1:Plate solving: I always have a special relation to plate solving with my DSLR, a Canon EOS 5DMarkIII. sometimes it works in 10 secs, sometimes in 2 minutes an sometimes i times out... Always when i find know i know what the problem is, its not working anymore and i have to switch to online solving, that deos not work always too...
so the last days i thought i coud try to use my guiding cam for plate solving, and so i did that. And guess what?
It takes 2 secs - 5 secs. Extremely fast and foult free. HOW COME? somebody got a explanation for that?

2: Session with guiding, dithering an capturing.
so i set up my asi120mm on my asi 60280 guiding scope, ditherin ON.
I start capturing 80 Lights, 180secs, GO
Everything WOULD work fine, but there is one BIG problem: When my DSLR is finished capturing a Frame, the picture is uploaded by default to the Client PC. And that takes a looooong time. A Minute or longer. In this time, i get faults from the Guiding module, because the system thinks there is something wrong... And it costs time too. I managed to work around this by clicking on "Save only local" in the INDI section of the canon. But i have to do so for every new job. If i click on local only in EKOS, it has no effect...
since i use the Save to SD card feature anyway, it would not need this transfer anyway. Maybe someone has a suggestion for how to set up the whole thing right?

3. Snap-Snap problem or "Ghost Pictures" with my Canon DSLR
I still have this problem from time to time. But now that i control the whole thing from inside, and i have this problem, i have to lock down the whole system on both computers, to get rid of it. This is extremely annoying. Especially if i do not recognize it and the Platesolving runs into a loop, because it always solves "the picture from before" Could this be solved with "local only" saving of the pictures?

4. Automatic meridian flip.
The day before yesterday, the system tried to flip but gave up. Unfortunately i did something wrong at the logfile system so i have no log for that.
Yesterday i tried to force a flip by guiding on a object about 5 minutes before the flip. I waited for about 40 minutes, but no flip occured.

To work around all of that i work now with: Guiding and platesoving via guiding-cam; Capturing the DSLR pictures only local and not sending them to the remote Computer (can that really be?)

hoping for answers

Cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 5 months ago #30691

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1. Not sure, maybe "less is more" when it comes to plate-solving? You can opt to only send JPGs to the online server which would reduce the time to upload significantly.
2. This should be fixed in 3.0.0 nightly, are you using that?
3. Not sure. IIRC, there is an option to always delete from SD card to prevent such "ghost" images. If there is a reliable way to replicate this let me know.
4. Can't say much without logs.
5 years 5 months ago #30711

• Thank you received: 19
1. OK, thats an idea. So where can i find that point?
2. No, i´m not using that nightly, i´m on the last official version 2.9.8. On the Linux machine and on my macbook. The thing is that i am not so fit in linux, you remember :) I just don´t know how to install this nightly build... Maybe you have advice? And what exactly would that change?
3. I´ll have a try with delete from SD card. Can this be set for PLATE SOLVING ONLY?
4. I know, no logs... My fault, but now this is setup right.

I think my way will be plate solving via the ASI cause its way faster, and then i´ll capture with DSLR and set the capture target to local only.
Another Question. Atm i have a little oval stars. Could you tell which parameters i should tweak in which way, to get rid of that?

so long
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 5 months ago #30714

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds