INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New INDI Atik driver - Feedback requested

• Thank you received: 29
Hi kamisan,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience - did you find a kind of workaround, like symlink - not sure how to write out correctly (maybe something like „ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu /usr/local/lib“)

Best, Helge
4 years 11 months ago #37364

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just had a look - also in my case the libatik libs are at the mentioned location (x86_64_linux_gnu-folder). Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am having the indiserver on a miniPC, and not a Raspberry Pi, thus the location differs?
4 years 11 months ago #37365

• Thank you received: 420
Does it work if you create a symbolic link from the driver in /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu to the /usr/local/lib directory? It can be created with

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu/libaltaircam.so /usr/local/lib

HTH, Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #37369

Hi Wouter,

Unfortunately, no success (yet): I tried the "symlink", slightly modified, as there are quite a few atik-libs (see also attached screenshot. So I put in as follows:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu/libatik*.* /usr/local/lib

hope that modification did not make things worse. There are also some libs that sound similar, so I repeated the symlink for them as well: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu/libatk*.* /usr/local/lib .

Best, Helge
4 years 11 months ago #37387
Attachments:

Hi Helge,

Sorry, I should have given you some more background info on those drivers and on how symlinks work on linux. When you issue this ls statement then you can see that all but one atik drivers are in fact symlinks to this one driver file:

$> ls -al /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatik*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Mar 9 14:46 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatikcameras.so -> libatikcameras.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Mar 9 14:46 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatikcameras.so.2 -> libatikcameras.so.2.2.5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4247608 Mar 9 14:46 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatikcameras.so.2.2.5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Mar 9 14:46 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatik.so -> libatik.so.2

The arrows, denoted by "->" mean it is a symlink. So in fact the only symlink needed is to the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatikcameras.so.2.2.5 file. HOWEVER the filename will change with future updates of the driver and that is why the other symlinks exist.

I executed your symlink command and this is the result:

$> sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu/libatik*.* /usr/local/lib
$> ls -al /usr/local/lib/libatik\*.\*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Apr 5 18:21 '/usr/local/lib/libatik*.*' -> '/usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu/libatik*.*'

So you in fact created a symlink to a non-existent file and that is why it still doesn't work.

In short, please execute the symlink command as I stated before:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64_linux_gnu/libaltaircam.so /usr/local/lib

and it should work. Actually you'll need to delete the old symlink with

sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libatik\*.\*

Note the two back slashes which are ESSENTIAL to make the command work!!!!

Please also note that with every update of the atik driver you will need to check if the symlink still points to an existing file. If it doesn't and you don't check, you will notice because you return to the same problems ;)

The atik driver maintainer (is that Atik themselves?) should adhere t the INDI standard that the drivers should be in /usr/local/lib OR should add a command to automatically create the symlink when installing the package and actually remove the old one when upgrading the package. fortunately the way apt and dpkg work on Debian based Linux distributions, of which Ubuntu is one, makes this very well possible and actually easy to implement.

Let me know please if it works once you have done all of this :)

CS, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 11 months ago #37388

Dear Wouter,

Eventually got it working, thank you so much for the kind support!!!

Best, Helge
4 years 11 months ago #37399

Dear Helge,

Great! So glad to have been of help. Enjoy your imaging and please share your results in the Gallery on this forum!

Clear skies, Wouter
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 11 months ago #37401

• Thank you received: 76
Sorry for the really stupid question by me,,, but if I do an apt-get upgrade, will I get the new atik drivers or should I uninstall the cloudmakers one?
I've already updated but I was previously using the cloudmaker drivers (and all working great)
Thanks,
Derek
4 years 11 months ago #37405

Remove any old drivers in /usr/local, it's those there that can interfere with the driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hans
4 years 11 months ago #37406

• Thank you received: 223
I have put my observatory back online, so far the Atik is behaving normally. I will test it more once and if I get a clear night this week.
Tried 1s 5s 10s and it was ok.

tbc...
4 years 11 months ago #37488

• Thank you received: 223
I can confirm that the Atik 314 works well. I have taken countless pictures to achieve focus, not missed a bit.
Thanks
4 years 11 months ago #37580

• Thank you received: 9
50% success for me but I am 100% positive that it is my fault.

I purchased an Atik 314E directly from Synoptics this week. It came in an Atik box but the camera is labeled "Synoptics". (I understand Synoptics and Atik are joined at the hip but that is besides the point :-)

The camera works perfectly using Artemis on Windows. It has TEC cooling but not set-point.

First off, I use Astroberry. Secondly, I only did a "Software Update" using the Ubuntu Mate utility. I did not launch the terminal and type "sudo apt-get update", "sudo apt-get upgrade". So keep that in mind.

The Synoptics CCD is replacing my Altair CMOS camera.

First attempt to get it working under Ekos involved simply changing "Altair" to "Atik" in the dropdown list in "My Astro Gear" configuration. When I tried to connect I got the message:
Unable to establish:
+Atik
Please ensure the device is connected and powered on.

After some thought I decided to see if I could manually start indiserver with the Atik driver from the terminal:
indiserver -v indi_atik_ccd
I was expecting it to fail but it actually worked and it was waiting for a client connection!

I torpedoed it and restarted it using:
indiserver -v indi_atik_ccd indi_simulator_telescope

Then I re-entered Ekos and created a new connection called "foo" where I told it to use a "remote" connection with devices: Atik and Telescope Simulator.

Ekos connected! I now see a tab called "Synoptics USB 2.0 EF Camera (A)". I was able to snap a 1-second exposure. It worked.

One problem I see is when I go to the Ekos "CCD" tab the "Cooler On/Off" controls are disabled.

Finally, in INDI Control Panel in the General Info tab the Driver info says:
Atik
indi_atik_ccd
Version 2.2
Interface 6

Like I said, this is probably my fault. "Software Update" probably doesn't bring in bleeding edge INDI development.

Sorry for droning on and on. Thanks for any feedback.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christopher Coomber
4 years 11 months ago #37690

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds