INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New INDI Atik driver - Feedback requested

Remove any old drivers in /usr/local, it's those there that can interfere with the driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hans
4 years 11 months ago #37406

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
I have put my observatory back online, so far the Atik is behaving normally. I will test it more once and if I get a clear night this week.
Tried 1s 5s 10s and it was ok.

tbc...
4 years 11 months ago #37488

• Thank you received: 223
I can confirm that the Atik 314 works well. I have taken countless pictures to achieve focus, not missed a bit.
Thanks
4 years 11 months ago #37580

• Thank you received: 9
50% success for me but I am 100% positive that it is my fault.

I purchased an Atik 314E directly from Synoptics this week. It came in an Atik box but the camera is labeled "Synoptics". (I understand Synoptics and Atik are joined at the hip but that is besides the point :-)

The camera works perfectly using Artemis on Windows. It has TEC cooling but not set-point.

First off, I use Astroberry. Secondly, I only did a "Software Update" using the Ubuntu Mate utility. I did not launch the terminal and type "sudo apt-get update", "sudo apt-get upgrade". So keep that in mind.

The Synoptics CCD is replacing my Altair CMOS camera.

First attempt to get it working under Ekos involved simply changing "Altair" to "Atik" in the dropdown list in "My Astro Gear" configuration. When I tried to connect I got the message:
Unable to establish:
+Atik
Please ensure the device is connected and powered on.

After some thought I decided to see if I could manually start indiserver with the Atik driver from the terminal:
indiserver -v indi_atik_ccd
I was expecting it to fail but it actually worked and it was waiting for a client connection!

I torpedoed it and restarted it using:
indiserver -v indi_atik_ccd indi_simulator_telescope

Then I re-entered Ekos and created a new connection called "foo" where I told it to use a "remote" connection with devices: Atik and Telescope Simulator.

Ekos connected! I now see a tab called "Synoptics USB 2.0 EF Camera (A)". I was able to snap a 1-second exposure. It worked.

One problem I see is when I go to the Ekos "CCD" tab the "Cooler On/Off" controls are disabled.

Finally, in INDI Control Panel in the General Info tab the Driver info says:
Atik
indi_atik_ccd
Version 2.2
Interface 6

Like I said, this is probably my fault. "Software Update" probably doesn't bring in bleeding edge INDI development.

Sorry for droning on and on. Thanks for any feedback.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christopher Coomber
4 years 11 months ago #37690

• Thank you received: 29
Hi Kamisan,

In my case - and I am sure you have done already - I got it sorted by running sudo apt-get upgrade

Best, Helge
The following user(s) said Thank You: kamisan
4 years 11 months ago #37691

• Thank you received: 51
I tested the ATIK 414EX yesterday and all worked fine.
4 years 11 months ago #37692

Thanks, Helge.

I have not done that only because this is Astroberry. I am awaiting a definitive answer as to what Software Update accomplishes versus sudo apt-get upgrade. Maybe they are functionally equivalent.

My reply to you last week was on a different platform: Ubuntu 16.04 laptop + my build of INDI code from Github. There I was grasping for solutions, anything to make it work. I am taking a different approach with Astroberry. I am not a Linux expert so these nuances are not intuitively obvious to me.

Perhaps Software Update brought in the latest Atik driver and everything should work but since I've got a camera that identifies itself as Synoptics there is a problem. My fallback right now is Artemis if I need to image. I'd like to get Astroberry working but it is not critical at this point.

Thanks.
4 years 11 months ago #37693

To everyone who has gotten their Atik camera to work:

How does your camera identify itself on INDI Control Panel?

Mine says "Synoptics USB 2.0 EF Camera (A)"

Thanks.
4 years 11 months ago #37694

• Thank you received: 29
Hi kamisan,

I just had a look on the astroberry side, concerning upgrade via standard procedure you would be fine (github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server).

In my case, there was a conflict between new Atik driver and some outdated general libraries, which was solved with the upgrade.

Best, Helge
4 years 11 months ago #37697

Well, back to Windows and SharpCap for me.

I was so hopeful that the official release that came through at 3am my time would surely fix the problem with not recognizing my Atik/Synoptics camera. No such luck. Rumor has it that someone has this same camera working on AstroDMx. I'll contact them to hopefully duplicate their success. In the meantime under Windows, Artemis Capture works as well as SharpCap using the camera's ASCOM driver.
4 years 11 months ago #37805

One last ditch effort to get this camera working under INDI:

I uninstalled indi_atik and libatik on my Astroberry and then installed Cloudmakers' driver for ARMHF (V6+) Debian Linux or Raspbian (atikccd-1.30-armhf.deb). Installation was successful.

In Ekos I tried both local and remote. 'local' gave me the same old negative response. Then I tried 'remote' by starting indiserver from the command line. It was successful but only to the extent that INDI control panel says the camera is an "Atik 314E" but it stays disconnected. I tried clicking the "connect" button but it immediately disconnects.

A friend has this same camera that he purchased from Synoptics six months ago. Cloudmakers driver works for him using AstroDMx. I bought this camera last week. The best I can figure, Synoptics reflashed the firmware to only allow access by *authorized* applications like Artemis Capture.

Caveat emptor. If they can do this to someone like me who wants to try out a new technology without dropping $2000 into a new model then what prevents them from deactivating your camera after say 2 years, now that they control the SDK?
4 years 11 months ago #37867

• Thank you received: 2
Have all the issues connecting Atik cameras and filter wheels been solved? Not for me, and was hoping to get some on what's going on with my setup.

I have the Atik EFW 2.2 that Ekos won't recognize no matter what I do (throws the generic "No Atik filter wheels connected, power on?" message). Here's my setup:

- RPI 4 running latest StellarMate version & latest stable Indi library
- Remote connection to RPI 4 using Mac OS Mojave
- Main CCD is Atik 383l+
- Pegasus focus Cube
- Losmandy G11 gemini 2 mount
- QHY guiding camera with Orion mini 50 scope
- All hardware is powered & connected through UPBv2

Everything is working flawlessly except for the dam Filter wheel. I've tried connecting it directly to RPI4, tried connecting locally by remoting into RPI4 and controlling ekos from there (tried just connecting the filter wheel by itself). I tried every usb port on the UPBv2 and RPI 4, tried different cables and a different power source. Also tried connecting it through Atik's software on a windows laptop and it worked just fine. So frustrating since tonight is a perfectly clear sky and I'm scrambling to get it set up, but will have to just control the filter wheel directly/without StellarMate. So much for automation :-/

Can anyone please help?!! Thanks.
Software:
MacOS 10.15.6
Kstars 3.5.0
Indi library 1.8.6

Equipment:
- RPI3B+
- Losmandy G11
- Stellarvue 80mm F/6 APO
- Atik 383L+
- QHY5II with Orion 50mm guiding scope
- Pegasus focuser
- Flip-Flat
- QHY Polemaster
- Pegasus Ultimate powerbox

4 years 5 months ago #44546

Time to create page: 1.089 seconds