INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nikon D5000 Failed to expose

• Thank you received: 0
Don’t feel like you’re alone. My Canon T7i connects but can’t image. Indi can’t control the shutter, for one thing.
4 years 10 months ago #38918

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I check the port each time by running ls -al /dev/ttyUSB* and then plugging it in and listing again to see which one it comes up as.

The frustrating thing is I made it work once, literally for one test shot and i haven't managed to get it to work since I know it's possible! Just got to find out how ;) haha
4 years 10 months ago #38953

When you’re testing is your Nikon in manual mode? Power save features off? Wifi Off? Maybe try turning every do-dad off.

As an aside I got tired of these issues not being fixed because there is no real support for these freeware products. I just bought an AsiAir for $178. WIthin hours it was up an running - very easy, BUT my Canon T71 would not work, just like it still doesn’t work in Ekos. ZWO had that fixed withing 48 hours in a beta version and new firmware

So here’s the deal. I’m told AsiAir is built on Ekos. My Canon T7i wasn’t support in the last AsiAir build. Now it is. The old ZWO support list that originally showed my T7i was not support also shows your Nikon D5000 as NOT supported which makes me wonder that your and my DSLR problems with Ekos result from - the cameras are not actually supported.

As an aside my Canon with the new AsiAir build now works BUT it still does NOT work in Ekos. I got remote control from my iPad, guiding, imaging, Safari GOTO, and plate solution for $178 bucks tho I had a ZWO guide camera. It was all very easy to setup AND it has Support from the manufacturor.
4 years 10 months ago #38956

Yep, always in manual mode, there is no Wifi on it so thats fine, I've not tried the powersave features so will give that a go now I've got the external power supply for it ;)

I'm starting to feel the same way... I've seen it work once though so I know it's possible unless that was a bug and it's since been removed ;) haha.

It's very tempting to get the ASI Air or Stellarmate.. I plan to upgrade my nikon to the ASI16000MM in the future so it's good to know that there could be a way to get it to work on that if I buy the ASIAir earlier than the camera...

Thanks
4 years 10 months ago #39009

Since I have a Mac and two USB ports I thought the AsiAir would be an inexpense test rather than put a more money into some other ‘cpu box’. For me it solved a lot of problems
4 years 10 months ago #39011

Well I've asked in the ASIAir fb group and they have basically said it's not supported and not even offered to look into it so it doesn't fill me with confidence that if I bought it they would get it working for me... Gonna stick with Astroberry for now and keep trying to get it to work. I can trigger the shutter with a shell script but still cant get EKOS to do it for me :(
4 years 10 months ago #39072

I've got a test script that activates the shutter with the following code...

Open shutter is echo -e "\xFF\x01\x01" > dev/ttyUSB0

close shutter is echo -e "\xFF\x01\x00" > dev/ttyUSB0

Is it possible to get EKOS to send this out to activate the shutter relay board...?
4 years 10 months ago #39073

I wouldn’t take some FB or forum’s word for it based on my experiences here and the PhD2 forum. One can write Zwo directly at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and/or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

To be clear, your saying PC command-line to camera works, but how to make Ekos issue commandline scripts? I don’t know about Ekos. I only have its guiding module working but w/o a camera working one can’t get more of Ekos to work, so no help on my end.
4 years 10 months ago #39074

.... but doesn’t Nikon have a utulity? With my testing. I knew the camera was working cuz my Canon util and anoth guiding app worked. Besides command-line control do other apps on you PC control the camera?
4 years 10 months ago #39075

Good plan, I'll drop them an email, thanks.

I am currently using an old PC laptop to control everything through APT Astrophotography Tool & PHD2. It works for the camera, mount & guide camera with no additional scripts.

I am trying to lighten the load by moving to a Raspberry pi running kstars/EKOS etc but this is the stumbling block...

So far I know I can control the shutter using a script so it works with this setup, it's just a case of getting EKOS/INDI to send the right 1's & 0's to the relay board to get it to work...
4 years 10 months ago #39076

Well good luck w/ that Simon. This stuff can be very frustrating.

Who knows, maybe Zwo will have encouraging info; not sure what Astroberry costs....
4 years 10 months ago #39077

Astroberry is free apart from having to buy your own Raspberry Pi. Its basically just an Ubuntu Mate OS with a few things pre installed like kstars EKOS etc that you can then connect to via VNC
4 years 10 months ago #39078

Time to create page: 0.836 seconds