INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY5 not found by Ekos

• Thank you received: 8
Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Ekos to find the qhy5 guide camera in my setup. I'm running an indi server on Raspberry Pi; here's what the indi server says about QHY5 on startup:
2019-06-09T03:05:09: Driver indi_qhy_ccd: QHYCCD|QHYCCD.CPP|InitQHYCCDResource|    InitQHYCCDResource   END
2019-06-09T03:05:09: Driver indi_qhy_ccd: QHYCCD|QHYCCD.CPP|ScanQHYCCD|START
2019-06-09T03:05:09: Driver indi_qhy_ccd: QHYCCD|QHYCCD.CPP|ScanQHYCCD|ScanQHYCCD numdev=0
2019-06-09T03:05:09: Driver indi_qhy_ccd: QHYCCD|QHYCCD.CPP|ScanQHYCCD|Scan  finished. Return nid=0

Once I try to connect, though, Ekos doesn't see the camera. It sees everything else (mount, filter wheel, imaging cam, focuser) but not the guide cam. I turned on logging in Ekos and tried to attach just the QHY5; the log is attached.

I wasn't sure the camera itself was the issue, but I tried it under Windows and it worked fine. The setup seemed to work several weeks ago after I upgraded to INDI 1.7.8. I say "seemed to" because I could only try it out in my living room. Today, I updated kstars, and I'm wondering if that could be the issue.

Versions:
INDI 1.7.8 on RPi
Kstars Build: 2019-05-30T09:48:47Z

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

Thanks,

Charles Wright
Ubuntu 18.04 and Raspbian Jessie; INDI 1.7.4
Mounts: CEM-60 chiefly; iEQ45
Cameras: Atik 383L+, QHY5-II-M
Focuser: Moonlite
4 years 10 months ago #40007
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic QHY5 not found by Ekos

You need to contact QHY for this. They said recently that QHY5 is no longer supported and does not work in their SDK for Linux.
4 years 10 months ago #40010

Well that's not very nice of them.

What if I revert to an earlier version of INDI? I see in the git log that QHYSDK v5.0.3 went in just before the INDI v1.7.7 release. Does that mean I need to go back to 1.7.6?

Thanks for any help,

Charles
4 years 10 months ago #40024

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic QHY5 not found by Ekos

Just to be clear in my mind, is the dropped support is specifically for the QHY5? I'm hoping (based on the 2019-04-08 linux note), it doesn't include the QHY5L-II-M ?
4 years 10 months ago #40029

Well, it might mean that - the camera I'm using is precisely a QHY 5L-II-M, and if this really is the case, it's the second piece of QHY hardware rendered inoperable under Linux for me. Gotta sell these things to a happy Windows astronomer...
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Charles Wright.
4 years 10 months ago #40041

No, the QHY5L-II-M works just fine, I think they were referring to the 1st generation QHY5.
4 years 10 months ago #40051

• Thank you received: 138
Won't the drivers provided by QHY before they withdrew support continue to work?
4 years 10 months ago #40054

Right, but we use updated QHY SDK whenever it is released. We have to do this to keep with the bug fixes.
4 years 10 months ago #40055

If the QHY5L-II-M works "just fine", then I would like to help people further diagnose the issue I am having, because that is the camera I have, and it is very much *not* working. I can provide more info later - perhaps it's due to an issue with the build or something? No idea...

Charles
4 years 10 months ago #40062

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic QHY5 not found by Ekos

This may not help, as I haven't yet scrolled back to see your original issues, but my QH5L-II-M pretty much works with either internal or Phd2 in the most recent bleeding edge builds (and has been for a while). I have had "exposure failed restarting", many times in the past, but at the moment, for the most part, it is working. When it doesn't I reboot Kstars. My problem at the moment is full resolution Nikon Z7 captures (without fits viewing) and Phd2 guiding appear to kill the nikon driver (driver crashed). I can see the system goes to 100% memory utilization. In the last session 2 days ago, after doing the image alignment with Kstars, I ended up with Phd2 guiding using Kstars indi drivers and attaching the camera to a CamRanger to provide exposures > 30". Not an ideal situation as the images are not fits. I hope an Odroid-N2 might help this, but more likely to replace one set of issues with another.
4 years 10 months ago #40063

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic QHY5 not found by Ekos

I just tested my very old QHY5 clone with nightlies and found it works OK. It lists as "Bus 003 Device 010: ID 16c0:296d Van Ooijen Technische Informatica" in lsusb. I did not find any difference to "original" QHY5s in the past so I believe it had just been re-labeled and is otherwise identical to the QHY5. If course I could be wrong nevertheless.
4 years 10 months ago #40064

Mine is listed as "Bus 001 Device 015: ID 1618:0921" - there is no string following the numbers.
4 years 10 months ago #40070

Time to create page: 0.760 seconds