INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Exposure occasionally stuck at 0,01 seconds (ZWO ASI, ROCKPro64)

• Thank you received: 0
Hello there!

I have switched from my trusted Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to a ROCKPro64 to be able to use USB 3.0 and minimize my amp glow. It's working fine but occasionally I'm stuck at 0,01 seconds exposure.
It just stops but it pretends to run so that I have to manually abort it. Everything camera related fails, the resolving tries to capture the image for ever.
The only way to solve it is to physically disconnect the camera and plug it back in.

I think it happens when I'm taking a lot of photos in a short amount of time (i.e. with the autofocus).
I'm not using the stock USB 3.0 cable that came with the camera but I've ordered a new USB-C to USB-B cable to try that out.

ASI 183 MC Pro Color
no USB hub
ROCKPro64 with Armbian
KStars latest and nightly

Does anyone know what else might cause this? I tend to say it's rather a hard- than a software problem.

Thanks! :-)
4 years 7 months ago #42369

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
No real idea what it is, but every now and then I have a comparable(?) problem with my ASI1600MMPro (also running via USB3): I can start an exposure, it will count down the time, Progress notice changes to 'Downloading' - and there it sits, not downloading, until I hit 'Abort'.
I can then well start another exposure that would count down, but not download.
I can fix things by disconnecting and reconnecting the camera in INDI control panel. Physical unplugging so far was never needed.
4 years 7 months ago #42372

• Thank you received: 42
Same here, commented on it in
indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/5450-issues...will-not-finish.html
Think restarting KStars was my way of getting going again.
4 years 7 months ago #42385

• Thank you received: 4
I bet it's all the same issue as I'm seeing with an ASI183MM and a NanoPi M4.
The problem is Linux kernel related, I see errors reported in dmesg when the camera fails to download the image.

I can find later kernel versions that fix the problem with USB3 cameras, but (so far) break the WiFi at the same time.

See indilib.org/forum/ekos/5540-asi183mm-pro...ls-on-nanopi-m4.html
4 years 7 months ago #42388

• Thank you received: 133

Then it's at least something different in my case. I'm running kernel 5.2.8. And nothing in the kernel logs that I could relate to camera or USB issues.
4 years 7 months ago #42390

I don't think this other issue is directly related to my problem but I have debugged it further.

The same error occured with Ubuntu Mate so I dug even deeper and I came across a topic on the official ZWO ASI forums where they were talking about different kernel versions (see bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/viewtopic.php?t=8253)

The error message I got from _dmesg_ was
My kernel version was 4.4.189-1230-rockchip-ayufan-gafadea9477b7 so I upgraded to 5.0.0-1092-ayufan-g58b7aac480ae and my issues were gone.
Now the USB-C port isn't working but the camera connected to the regular USB 3.0 port works without any problems and as a big plus the amp glow got better. :whistle:
4 years 7 months ago #42516

Yep, that's the same error that I had. I can't find a v4 kernel that fixes the problem, but v5 works fine
4 years 7 months ago #42519

Do you know any kernel version that supports the USB-C port on the RockPro64? I might not need a hub if this one it's usable.
4 years 6 months ago #42580

No, sorry the USB-C on my NanoPi is only for power, not data.
4 years 6 months ago #42635

Time to create page: 1.186 seconds