INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon EOS-M cameras support

• Thank you received: 165
Unfortunately libraw doesn't yet support CR3 format.
4 years 7 months ago #42487

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
Looks like LibRaw devs are promising to add support for CR3 this autumn. Another way of dealing with this issue is to force the camera to save in CR2 format. The camera supports this feature but for some reason, INDI still receives CR3 format.
4 years 7 months ago #42492

• Thank you received: 28
I have an original EOS-M which connects to Ekos, but Ekos cant trigger or control it. Which is weird. I have read somewhere that Canon have disabled USB control on this particular model which is a pity. As you say they are a great little camera, low noise and light.

My question is if gphoto via Ekos can see the camera and can populate most of the camera information, maybe full control is possible? Would this be a question for gphoto developers or indi developers??
4 years 7 months ago #42537

I was trying to use my camera couple of months ago and if I remember correctly, I was able to get gphoto to take images using command line but I had to upgrade to latest version of gphoto. With kstars I was able to take images but they were not showing because kstars does not understand CR3 format.
4 years 7 months ago #42541

Hi avarakin, what about fits format? Can you get it to spit out fits files??
4 years 7 months ago #42564

For this to happen, Ekos needs to understand CR3 format. It is using libraw for reading raw images and libraw does not support CR3 format yet.
I posted a question on libraw forum about CR3 support. They confirmed that it comes soon. Once it is available, it would be a matter of compiling Ekos with latest libraw.
Alex
4 years 6 months ago #42773

Where did they confirm that? From Github issue page there is very little activity.
4 years 6 months ago #42777

There is some activity on their message board:
www.libraw.org/comment/5401#comment-5401
4 years 6 months ago #42780

• Thank you received: 0
Resurrecting this thread since I think I have the same issue. I have Canon EOS RP that also outputs CR3 files and have the same issue with LibRaw support to decode the image.

I've noticed that there is now a public GIT snapshot that now supports CR3 files: www.libraw.org/news/libraw-snapshot-201910

I believe have the latest PPA INDI Nightly Build installed.

Thanks
4 years 3 months ago #46660

Hi all I did an update late last week. Tried my Canon RP. Everything seems to work ok via USB. Can trigger camera. The fit file transfers ok. I have not tried imaging with it yet as the weather here in Australia is very bad at the moment.

The next thing I'll try is wifi connection instead of USB. See if I can eliminate another cable from my rig.

Regards
4 years 3 months ago #46661

So looks like wifi connection option still is not supported on gphoto2. Will wait I suppose.
4 years 3 months ago #46679

• Thank you received: 22
After the k50 failed to bulb, but we had gotten some pentax models working, I helped some with GPhoto testing for the eos-m1 that I've never gotten to tether. It's trapped out pretty well in that camera to the point of not even being able to use an arduino IR trigger I made while connected to the camera card. If you connect usb it fails to fire even locally. I read that some newer models were fairing a bit better but haven't checked in for a while. Development for models is usually done through Libgphoto2 issues tracker at github so you might get info doing a search there and reading the development threads.
4 years 3 months ago #46706

Time to create page: 2.080 seconds