INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Unable to capture exposure with ASI183MM on Crouton Chromebook

• Thank you received: 2
Hello,

I am unable to capture images with new ZWO ASI183MM.

Under the INDI control panel, main control, expose "set" results in "Exposure failed after 3 attempts".

Logging doesn't uncover helpful information; only "ASIGetExpStatus failed. Restarting exposure".

However, a ZWO ASI290MM *does* seem to function correctly, so the problem seems specific to the 183 camera.

I tried this on 2 (closely related) systems with same result:

First in INDI v. 1.8.1 - Kstars - KDE - Buster Crouton chroot on Chromebook.

Second in INDI v. 1.2.0 - Kstars - Gnome - Stretch Crouton chroot on Chromebook.

I would be grateful for any suggestions how to diagnose or remedy.

Thanks.
4 years 5 months ago #44004

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
How is it connected? There were some threads here about problems with USB3 chipsets. Can you run it on a dedicated USB2 port, or via USB2 hub?
4 years 5 months ago #44016

Thank you for the idea.

I do have an "Amazon basics USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub" lying around although both chromebooks (Lenovo Flex 11 & Asus C523NA-IH24T) sport single USB 3.0 ports.

Unfortunately, connecting the ASI183MM through the 2.0 hub does not help. Exposures cycle through failure until aborted.
4 years 5 months ago #44036

• Thank you received: 133
Have you tried other software like ASICAP? Could at least give a hint if it's a hardware or software issue.
Maybe too little power? Try an externally powered hub?
4 years 5 months ago #44076

Thank you. Yes, it's time to seek out another driver and get some parallax there!
4 years 5 months ago #44110

The problem here was the Chromebook.

Kstars/Ekos/INDI runs fine under a Linux chroot, Crouton, on a Chromebook.

My difficulty was that the INDI 3rd party "driver", asi-common, is really necessary to expose a full frame (but not necessary for a smaller region of interest). But asi-common will not work on Crouton installed on factory Chromebook.

Instead, because of the way systemd works, the asi-common rule must be installed in the Chrome root file system. Trouble is, this file system is mounted read-only in a factory Chromebook. For this Chromebook (Asus 523) this involved using a SuzyQable to remove the write protection from / and manually copying the asi-common rule file to /etc/udev/rules.d outside the chroot.

Just in case someone else encounters this problem.
4 years 5 months ago #45110

Time to create page: 0.920 seconds