INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Plate Solving Issues

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Plate Solving Issues

Turning off 'Use scale' seems for me to be the only way to prevent it from using the wrong '-L' and '-H' argument to 'solve_field'. Even when the two scales say '0', some other values are used when running 'solve_field'. So turning off 'Use scale' also seems to work here in a few test cases. Running from the command line with the correct scales seems to be faster, though. ~400s in ekos without "use scale" and ~100s from the command line with the correct scales.

Another odd thing.... If I run solve_field from the command line simultaneous with a solve in ekos and press 'Stop' in ekos, it will stop both the one in ekos AND the one in the command line. Does the stop button use some kind of killall or something? That may lead to odd things in some cases...
4 years 5 months ago #44498

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Plate Solving Issues

Ok, so for clarification (and I just changed the GUI to reflect that). Everything you see is in JNow, not J2000.

There is something odd about your image, your FOV is showing as 0x0.. did you switch telescopes perhaps and didn't solve that one?
4 years 5 months ago #44500

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Plate Solving Issues

Aren't there advantages to having coordinates in J2000 for consistency across platforms that do the conversion internally? Can we get either both at once or a choice?
4 years 5 months ago #44523

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by S on topic Plate Solving Issues

Here is what is happening in my case: kstars uses the scale information found in the fits file to generate the options, over writing anything I manually set in the options dialogue. It seems to be done in Align::startSolving in align.cpp where getSolverOptionsFromFITS is called. The scaled reported in the log matches exactly 0.9 and 1.1 time the pixel scale in the fits header and clearing FOCALLEN and SCALE in the fits header results in a correct solve (but without any scale information...). Maybe there should be an options to either use the fits header (if available) or always use the user set options? My fits header was containing (slightly) wrong information leading to the (slightly) wrong image scale being used and there seems to be no way to manually overwrite this from ekos....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 5 months ago #44531

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Plate Solving Issues

Everything is in JNow because that what most mounts report, so when you compare mount and solution coordinates, you need to be looking at the same epoch.
4 years 5 months ago #44539

Time to create page: 0.660 seconds