INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Altair GPCAM 290M - showing cropped frame

• Thank you received: 0
I've been experiencing issues with the INDI driver for Altair CCDs (running on Raspberry Pi 4 under Ubuntu 19.10 arm64), using my GPCAM 290M, giving a seemingly cropped image to the top-left portion of the frame. For debugging purposes, I removed the camera from the scope and installed the supplied fisheye lens designed for use as a standalone CCTV camera. This gave an image, at the specified resolution, but only of the top-left part of the frame. Furthermore, the full advertised resolution of 1920x1080 failed to transfer any images - all client software timed out acquiring a picture from the camera.
To try and understand the circumstances better, I started in Ekos from a functioning resolution 960x540 - quarter of the advertised maximum - and worked up from there through the 16:9 ratio. As I increased the resolution, the visible portion increased from the top-left quarter to showing slightly more of the bottom and right. Eventually, at 1536x864, the same behaviour as for 1920x1080 occurred and no images were transferred to the client.
I then tried the same thing using CCDciel connected to INDI and saw exactly the same pattern repeat. However, using the supplied AltairCapture software and a direct USB connection gave an expected image of 1920x1080 resolution and showing the full frame.

Probably I'm missing a setting in the INDI control panel, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
4 years 3 months ago #47291

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's a USB issue on Raspberry PI. Not Altair fault, but Toupcam since it's their chip and SDK. I informed Toupcam of this behavior but didn't get much update. If you run the camera on Linux on x86 then it would capture at full resolution without any issues. You should talk to Altair and also perhaps to Toupcam to put more pressure on them to fix this problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andre Staras
4 years 3 months ago #47293

Thanks for your help - I've submitted a ticket and hopefully they'll get back to me.
4 years 3 months ago #47294

Solved - changing the USB speed to 0 in the control tab in INDI fixed the issue.
4 years 3 months ago #47314

Time to create page: 0.666 seconds