INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nikon RAW/.NEF viewer "regular" size how?

• Thank you received: 3
Is there a way to get a regular view of Nikon .NEF files on Astroberry? When I double click on any .nef it displays as a thumbnail. When I do the same with my wife's Canon .CR2 files, they come up "regular" size (for lack of a better term) that I can zoom to fit, etc.

Thanks.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Paul Nixon. Reason: clarification
4 years 2 months ago #47981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
I have a Nikon d7500 also, I have done some test, check the filesize if it's small try to change file extension, from nef to jpg. In my case it is actually a jpg. There is a problem with the settings on Image Quality, I choose NEF(RAW) format from Indi control panel, but it downloads a Jpeg. I really don't know if its a gphoto o indi driver problem. There some Image Quality options that don't read well. I will try to attach some screenshots.
4 years 2 months ago #48356

Hello!

File size is around 24MB which is correct for these files (and the files are fine as I move them to my Win machine for stacking/processing).

If I open the file manager on the Pi and click on any .NEF, the picture comes up as a 120x100 (I think that's right) thumbnail on a huge white background.
If I open the same file from my Windows machine, the .NEF comes up normally. Obviously different viewer (Faststone, if it matters).
4 years 2 months ago #48625

• Thank you received: 9
@aargelaquet

I had the same issue with my D7500 where it would not save as a RAW file on the SD card and would switch the camera to JPEG. The only setting that would stick and save a RAW file was NEF (RAW) + JPEF fine
4 years 1 month ago #48674

Good news, we have been working on a patch for libgphoto that corrects imagequality setting, for Nikon d7500, now I can save as RAW.
4 years 1 month ago #48678

Hello!,

I have played a little bit I think the problem is with image viewer, try to open it with another program lije gphoto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Nixon
4 years 1 month ago #48679

Thank you - but how do I do that? I believe gphoto is used when I take shots with my Canon (for capture), but how would I use it as an alternate image viewer?

Also, I installed Digikam, and it shows up in the app menu, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It just sits and spins. ImageMagik I think was installed at the same time and it can open png files, but when I try to open my .NEF it errors out with some tiff warnings.
4 years 1 month ago #48693

Okay, finally!

I found XnViewMP and it does the job!

Now I have to delete the other stuff. ;)
4 years 1 month ago #48747

Time to create page: 1.026 seconds