INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Strange bias frames with ASI294MC Pro (under Astroberry)

Everything in Controls tab affects the RAW data. What would they change if not the data from the camera itself??

EDIT: Just to clarify more. All the controls are generated from the SDK. So INDI does not use any default values, it reads whatever values in the camera for these controls. INDI does not perform any processing whatsoever on the RAW data. Whatever the SDK produces, it is stored in the FITS file as is. You can set the white balance to any particular value and save config so it would be used on subsequent runs.
Last edit: 4 years 4 days ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
4 years 4 days ago #51103

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
I know that setting the values of WB_R and WB_B to 50 will produce frames that can be used. But ONLY 50 makes sense. All other values will screw bias and dark frames. In my camera the initial values were WB_R = 52 and WB_B = 95, maybe these are default values from ZWO. Important to know as a user. People in other forums ask why ASI294MC yields strange results with Ekos. This is different with other capturing SW.

Edit: Whitebalanced data are not raw data. It is unfortunate that ZWO has these parameters in the SDK and thus in the control tab.

Edit 2: When working with un-debayered OSC material, the least thing you need is any non-uniform white balancing.
Last edit: 4 years 4 days ago by Bernd Limburg.
4 years 4 days ago #51109

Ok I understand, but again, these values are NOT set by INDI when connecting for the first time to the camera. If 50/50 should be the default values, then why ZWO by default does not use them? At any rate, in your situation, save them as 50/50 and then Save Config and then you will not see this issue again.
4 years 4 days ago #51113

And I unterstand that it is not Indi which sets them or which does any post-calculations to the FITS. :) It is ZWO, and yes, only they know why the don't set the values in this astronomical driver to 50/50.

I can live with "save config" and this is my workaround right from when I discovered that the 52/95 was my problem. And I will tell others to do the same if I see similar questions elsewhere.

Anyhow, thanks for your responses and CS
4 years 4 days ago #51115

• Thank you received: 138
Looking at the ASI driver sources there is no obvious place where the WB_? properties are modified. It looks as if it is done in the binary provided by ASI, or maybe the values are the default provided by the CMOs device.

The best thing may be to contact ASI with this problem. They may be in a better position to resolve it.
4 years 3 days ago #51146

• Thank you received: 0
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Duccio.
1 year 4 months ago #88355

• Thank you received: 0

I quote Replied by Bernd Limburg ...... (quote not workS)
Why??? Absoluty NOT!!! WB MUST be the same as Light frames. If ZWO raccomand 95 for blue, and you have all light taken with this value. dont changa bias and dark!!!!!!
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Duccio.
1 year 4 months ago #88356

Thanks for the many exclamation marks.

Of course and obviously darks and bias setting must match those of the lights. And they do, I took lights, darks and bias with WB_R and WB_B each set to 50. But this has to be set by hand when setting up the INDI ASI driver for the first time, because the default values from ZWO are WB_R = 52 and WB_B = 95. And that leads to the checkerboard biasses.

CS, Bernd
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Bernd Limburg.
1 year 4 months ago #88361

Time to create page: 0.836 seconds