INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon EOS 1000D - all FITS files are completely black in DSS

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,
I'm new to KStars and Ekos. I have recently installed Astroberry 2.0.1. I used Windows / ASCOM / EQASCOM before.

I have a Canon EOS 1000D and managed to connect it to Ekos and was able to shoot some frames.
However, when I set it to save them as FITS files and then load these FITS into DeepSkyStacker the frames are all completely black.
When I open the files in a FITS viewer there is some information there.

Has somebody seen this before? Is this something I'm doing wrong? Or are these FITS files not compatible with DSS?

When I select "Native" file format, then I get the usual .cr2 files and these are fine. I just thought I'd save as FITS as that is more of a standard format.

I have attached an example FITS file (zipped to meed the file size limitations)

Thanks!
Chris
3 years 11 months ago #51967
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's fine, I suspect DSS is not auto-stretching them?
3 years 11 months ago #51984

Hmmm, I don't really want to disagree with you :D but they are not just very very dark, they are entirely black in DSS. I have tried again with flats and they are also completely black when I use FITS and open them in DSS. Using a .cr2 file captured with otherwise identical settings works fine.

But I guess that is a DSS issue of some sort as the FITS files seem to contain data when I open them in a FITS viewer. I was just wondering if it could be a setting somewhere in Ekos that makes the FITS files incompatible with DSS.

I also noticed that the .cr2 and FITS have different resolution (as shown in DSS). CR2 shows 3906 x 2602 and FITS shows 3888 x 2592. The resolution shown for FITS is what I set in Ekos Control Panel for the EOS camera as that is what I found online for my EOS 1000D. Not sure if this could be related.
3 years 11 months ago #52003

• Thank you received: 420
Is there a reason you shoot FITS images with your DSLR? To get FITS out of a DSLR a conversion from CR2 to FITS is involved which generally leads to data loss (not meaning the change in dimensions here) because of the different file formats. DSS can handle CR2 files, can it not?

Clear skies, Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #52006

Not really, the only reason why I tried FITS was that FITS is a standard and CR2 is a Canon proprietary format. I thought it would make sense to save my data in a format that is a standard for astrophotography to be a little more future-proof.
If that doesn't work (though I still wonder why), then I have no problem saving my data in CR2 format.
3 years 11 months ago #52007

• Thank you received: 74
1. When you take an image does the Indi viewer show the image as black even when stretched ?
2. Double check your frame settings and pixel sizes in Indi settings - I suspect this is the problem
3. Check your DSS is up todate
4. If the Indi viewer is showing a non black image then your settings in DSS are wrong
5. In your Indi settings what are your Format etc settings set to - screen print always help here :-)
Plus take note of the colour indicators in Indi Settings - they should be all green - are any RED indicating a problem.
6. Load one of he many FITS viewer's for Windows and see if the image

DSS is quite able,as you no doubt already know , to handle FITS from Indi - I use it via Astrotoaster all the time and there is no problems - so long as your settings in Indi AND DSS are correct.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
3 years 11 months ago #52012

• Thank you received: 375
An example file would be very helpful here ;-)
3 years 11 months ago #52015

1. When you take an image does the Indi viewer show the image as black even when stretched ?
No, the viewer in Indi shows the correct image, as does the Ekos dashboard ("Settings" tab)

2. Double check your frame settings and pixel sizes in Indi settings - I suspect this is the problem
Do you mean these settings?

3. Check your DSS is up todate
It is the current 4.2.3 64bit. I upgraded a few days ago while investigating this issue.

4. If the Indi viewer is showing a non black image then your settings in DSS are wrong
see 1.

5. In your Indi settings what are your Format etc settings set to - screen print always help here :-)
Do you mean the settings above? If not, which settings do you mean exactly? (I'm quite new to Ekos)

>> Plus take note of the colour indicators in Indi Settings - they should be all green - are any RED indicating a problem.
All are green or white

6. Load one of he many FITS viewer's for Windows and see if the image
Yes, I have a FITS viewer and that shows data in the images.

>> DSS is quite able,as you no doubt already know , to handle FITS from Indi - I use it via Astrotoaster all the time and there is no problems - so long as your settings in Indi AND DSS are correct.
Yes, I thought so. This can't be a general problem or my search before posting would have come up with either a solution, or a long list of people reporting issues. ;-) I'm sure this is something on my side (either Ekos or DSS) but I'm not experienced enough to investigate further on my own.
These are the FITS settings in my DSS:
3 years 11 months ago #52016
Attachments:

indeed. ;-)

there is one .cr2 and one FITS flat frame here:
drive.google.com/open?id=1ewPZLk-cS_v_AYAXcrljm9x9e_LxoS1x
I only changed the file format, all other settings were identical.
3 years 11 months ago #52017

• Thank you received: 375
Thanks for the file. Very helpful ;-)
Good news is that both files contain data. Bad news is that there's no useful data inside because you take very very very shot exposures, much too short (0.0002500 sec).
These are useless as flat frames, but can be used as bias frames.

If you have any light frame I can inspect it for you too ;-)
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
3 years 11 months ago #52021

Thanks, I have added one FITS and one CR2 light frame to the same folder.

I'm somewhat surprised by your comment about my flats. It was my understanding that it was best to let the camera choose the exposure when pointing at the flat panel (light source). When I do that, my camera selects 1/4000sec. I then selected that in Ekos.
The next higher exposure setting seems to be 1/100 (0.001sec). When I use that the flats are over exposed. When I open the CR2 flat it looks good to me (if a bit blue-ish), but I'm by no means an expert... ;)
Is my flat panel too bright? It's an old LED TV with the display removed and only the backlight left, which I made remote controllable. It is mounted on the wall in front of the telescope when it's parked.
3 years 11 months ago #52022

• Thank you received: 74
Your pixel size X,Y are wrong - surely they should be 22.2 and 14.8 ??????????
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
3 years 11 months ago #52023

Time to create page: 0.916 seconds