INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guide camera unexpectedly switches to 8-bit video mode

• Thank you received: 1

But that doesn't quite answer it though - what you see today now implies the camera always fails on the first image capture it takes because the first images is always in 8 bit mode. It now never takes a 16bit FIT with a revert to 8bit later on in the capture sequence after a fail.

Where as before I never had the failed to capture or receive image (or it constantly looping on the same exposure) using my 120. This is why wonder if there was a fundamental change to the driver which makes it now always fail on the first capture in 16bit mode, as apposed to the 16bit to 8bit change after a fail being the only change.
3 years 4 months ago #62480

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
I've found a way to get 16bit on the first image taken, the "Loop" option in CCDciel will return a 16bit FIT at first, then swap to 8 bit after that. But pressing the "Preview" button doesn't, very strange!
3 years 4 months ago #62481

• Thank you received: 420

Thanks for the clarification. The driver consists of two parts: a binary driver by ZWO and a wrapper in INDI. Perhaps ZWO needs to be contacted to understand why 16 bit with ASI120 cameras fails on Linux.
3 years 4 months ago #62483

• Thank you received: 16

I've had the same experience. Took me by complete surprise and extremely disappointing. Had to throw away hours and hours of overnight data.

The only information I can contribute to the troubleshooting is that I recently installed 3.5.0 beta for MacOS, use the app on a MacBook talking to a remote server on the Stellarmate, and I spent a lot of time finding a location for the SM with good WiFi reception - meaning that I was starting and stopping the SM because it would come up in hotspot mode. I'd have to connect with an iPad to switch it over. Did this several times that night. Never ever occurred to me to check bit depth of 1600 before I started my sequence. Never saw that before with 3.4.3.
3 years 4 months ago #62492

No, this automatic switch is only applicable to ASI120. If there is an issue in your case then perhaps it is some configuration issue either not being probably written, or not being properly read, or something else is resetting them to 8bit externally.
3 years 4 months ago #62496

• Thank you received: 109
Not sure if related or not. I have not had much of a chance to play with real skies, but tonight was clear, so am trying out the latest from git.

I am not able to switch either of my ZWO cameras to 16 bit. They are normally both 16 bit, and just left that way. Tonight when I started things up, I get the message in the logs:
[2020-11-11T19:40:49.742 CST INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - ZWO CCD ASI1600MM Pro :  "[ERROR] Cannot change format while streaming/recording. "

this is on both cameras:
[2020-11-11T19:40:17.247 CST INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - ZWO CCD ASI290MM Mini :  "[ERROR] Cannot change format while streaming/recording. "

The problem is this is after a fresh reboot. Nothing is streaming. I go into the INDI control panel to make sure, and everything looks fine. I can even start and stop streaming from the INDI control panel for either camera, and I can also start and stop streaming from the CCD tab. Everything works, I just cannot switch them to 16 bit.

I have attached the log to see f there is anything else of interest in there.

Jim
3 years 4 months ago #62732
Attachments:

On a whim, I shut down INDI and moved the ZWO configuration files out of .indi and just kept them in my home directory. Now when INDI is started and I connect to the cameras, they are in 16 bit mode, but I still receive the same error trying to change them. At least locked into 16 bit more is more usable :)

Jim
3 years 4 months ago #62733

The latest code in git seems to have fixed this problem for me. I am now able to swap from 8 bit to 16 and back without errors.
3 years 4 months ago #62825

• Thank you received: 182

I experienced the same problem the other day, fortunately I saw it after 10 frames before I let the rig run by itself overnight. I tried switching back to 16 bit, but couldn't. Restarting Kstars did not help either.
I finally compiled the drivers fresh from the source. Then everything worked fine again. So far.
I did not open a topic, because it seemed like a fluke with not much to go on. But reading this, I now think there must be a more systematic problem.

Jo

PS: BTW, that was on a Pi4/8GB running Ubuntu 20.04, not Stellarmate.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 4 months ago #62835

• Thank you received: 54
Hi
i think this is the piece of code related to this behavior

But IMHO it also bumps out ASI120MM-S (usb3 version)
...I don't think we want that ...
@knro  : could you explain what you call "older asi120 camera" ?
I've never heard people complaining about usb3 version, but i might be wrong
(i've lost my last session because of this :-) )

Gilles

3 years 5 days ago #69136
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 54
Sorry, wrong screenshot on my previous post (taken from master)
here is 1.8.9 version - problem is the same

3 years 5 days ago #69142
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 7
I have same problem, ZWO not responding.
Ettore
2 years 11 months ago #70316

Time to create page: 0.892 seconds