INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Re:DSLR: any advantage of using FITS format instead of RAW?

• Thank you received: 86
Hello,
Is there any advantage of using FITS format instead of RAW with DSLR (I use Nikon, NEF)?
FITS: Larger files (66%), bayered. But shown in FITS viewer with available histogram and also shown in the summary tab.
RAW: Native format, smaller files.
Any advice?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
3 years 11 months ago #52912

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
You nailed it. The FITS format is easier to transfer to other software in the processing chain (such as the viewer), but you may want to process raws in a very specific way. In terms of compression, you should be able to receive gzip-compressed FITS from the driver.

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #52917

Just to make sure. FITS conversion does not alter the data, right? It's as good as RAW?
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
3 years 11 months ago #52920

• Thank you received: 301
FITS data is debayered. This therefore is not the original data.

-Eric

Edit: sorry I realize I'm suddenly not so sure about this. There are CFA_* FITS keywords with the Bayer pattern. Thus I'm not sure anymore whether it is debayered or not.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Eric.
3 years 11 months ago #52934

• Thank you received: 74
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
3 years 11 months ago #52938

• Thank you received: 420
It is my understanding from a long time ago (perhaps 2 years so this may have changed) that converting from RAW (both NEF for Nikon and CR2 for Canon) to FITS implies a file conversion which always implies data loss. I think that weighs up against being able to use the FITS viewer. There is a DSLR viewer as well which can display at least the CR2 files (sorry, I only have experience with Canon cameras) but I assume NEF as well since they are supported by libgphoto2 as well. The viewer is more crude than the FITS viewer but it should be able to zoom in and out in it though I never got that to work in VNC using a trackpad. It should work with the middle mouse button though.

My advise: stick to the file formats supported by your camera as much as possible. There is not a data processing software that I know of that doesn't support NEF files so avoid data loss and stick to NEF.

/stepping off the soap box now

Wouter
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 11 months ago #52946

Yeah... That's what I thought and was actually doing..

Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
3 years 11 months ago #52973

• Thank you received: 41
Sorry, but conversion doesn’t means always data loss. In fact, when you shot on RAW but store it as FITS, no data is lost. Each pixel read is store as it is without debayering.

In fact when you store it as FITS you have a lot of advantages in post processing. For example, applying darks, bias or flats could be done directly before debayering (at the CFA matrix), so you can easily remove hot pixels in the channel where it appear, without touching nearby pixels, so without introducing color contamination (as it happens when you apply calibration after debayering)
3 years 11 months ago #53040

• Thank you received: 420
Like I said, my info is quite old. Having said that, I also wrote "There is not a data processing software that I know of that doesn't support NEF files" so the same advantages (applying darks, bias or flats could be done directly before debayering) apply to NEF files as well.
3 years 11 months ago #53045

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds