INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver for Raspberry Pi "High Quality Camera?"

This driver is now available in StellarMate:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install indi-rpicam
The following user(s) said Thank You: James McPherson
3 years 9 months ago #56051
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 182
In reading this post, I came across this website:

astronomy.robpettengill.org/astroRPi.html

The quality he was able to coax out of the rpicam back in 2016 blows my mind. Look at the image he got of Jupiter and compare that to the result he got with a ZWO. The new 12 MP camera should easily be on par then.
3 years 9 months ago #56057
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought and installed stellarmate. After installing indi-rpicam, when I start it with indiserver -v, the result is the same as the compiled version from astroberry.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by James McPherson.
3 years 9 months ago #56068
Attachments:
I didn't figure out why I couldn't enable it from the command line, but I was able to enable it from the INDI Control Panel and then open PHD2 and start streaming images to it.

Is it still a 1 second limit for the exposures?

-Jim
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by James McPherson. Reason: Updated information.
3 years 9 months ago #56070
  • Thank you received: 12
Ok, seems the actual binary is missing for some reason. Ill have a look at it.
3 years 9 months ago #56083
Yes, there should be no HW-limit to that 1sec as far as I know but the documentation for this camera is very sparse. Ill keep trying to increase the time.
3 years 9 months ago #56084
The binary is not missing, it should be
indiserver -v indi_rpicam

not indi-rpicam. This is why you can use KStars/PHD2 to start it since the binary is correct there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lars Berntzon, James McPherson
3 years 9 months ago #56091
It's remarkable how much better things work when you type the right commands. I've got it working on both platforms now, but like that I had a good excuse to buy Stellarmate.

Thanks for the help! I'm excited to see what this little camera can do as a guide scope and as a planetary imaging camera.
-Jim
3 years 9 months ago #56126
I was planning to invest in a guide camera and was think the pi Hq cam would be a good option.

Was wondering what your experience is with this sensor?

I see the driver is not piggybacked on raspstill but natively use MMAL. How long does it take to process a 1 second exposure? Also I noticed a fixme comment on the source code for exposures longer than 1 sec. May I ask what is the limitarion with that?

The pi hq cams are all out of stock atm, with stock expected later next week I believe. Any feedback would be appreciated wrt guiding.
3 years 8 months ago #57919
Hi, the total time is quite a lot longer than 1 second but I can't test it now. The limit of exposure time though is fixed and works now.
Regards, Lars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rashed
3 years 8 months ago #58116
May I ask if it is sensitive enough for auto guiding. But if it takes long, it may not be ideal anyway. Thanks for letting me know.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Rashed.
3 years 8 months ago #58117
I have not tried that. To work as a good guidecamera I need to implement subframing first, that way the loop-time should be better. I does seem to be quite sensitive, with back illumination and all but I have not tested myself yet but I will.
3 years 8 months ago #58400
Time to create page: 0.746 seconds