INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

indi-webcam allocates increasing amount of RAM on Raspberry PI 4 making it slow

• Thank you received: 5
For some months I've used indi-webcam driver with Phillips SPC900nc on Ubuntu (kstars/ekos) with no problems .
Recently, however, I begin try to use Raspberry PI to control the same equipment.
First tried RP 3 B+ with astroberry up to date (kstars/ekos) for a couple of days and realized the RAM was not enough.
Then I changed to RP 4 (4 Gb).
In RP 4 with astroberry up to date the webcam did not connect immediately but after updating the USB firmware VL805 from release 0137ad (shipped with astroberry) to 0138a1 (www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=273027) everything went on track again.
Besides the cheap webcam my setup includes AZEQ5 (EQMod driver) and a Nikon d750 (Nikon DSLR driver).
Oh! After the USB firmware update my wireless keyboard and mouse dongle is disconnected immediately after indi drivers are started by ekos. Tried wired mouse with same result. Others users report the same problems with other USB equipment after the firmware update. By now I can live with the remote desktop (VNC).
The guiding goes fine for some minutes with captures from Nikon happening as expected.
After about 1 h the system becomes slower and depending on the demand the system ends up freezing (sometimes not).
The first day with PI4 I let the system guiding and acquiring frames for 2 hours without opening other programs or anything and noticed by the first time the system was slower.
The second day, noticed the same and found what was happening, the process indi_webcam_ccd was using more than 1 Gb of RAM after about 1 or 2 hours. Not a problem for PI4 but it clearly indicates the process is dealing with a task much bigger than necessary. In fact I noticed the guiding was not performing ok anymore. More frequent resets of the autoguiding position begun to occur.
Yesterday night I managed to accompany the problem occurring and saw as the amount of RAM used by indi_webcam grew with time.
The log from the session is attached as well as some screenshots showing the system monitor and the use of RAM climbing.

Is this a problem uniquely related to SPC900nc or is there any other users experiencing the same hunger for RAM by indi-webcam?
Thanks in advance for any help.
3 years 10 months ago #55802
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds