INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI 2600mc pro: how to set the correct sensor temperature ?

• Thank you received: 139
Using 100 gain is perfect if you're doing short subs where you can't take advantage of full well capacity, and need to image with light pollution.

However, if you have dark skies, and want to do long subs, you're better off at gain 0 so you can use the full well capacity of the sensor. This means you won't saturate bright areas as quickly, like getting blown out stars.
3 years 9 months ago #55849

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Hi Lead_weight,
from my asi quick user guide i s written that using the Highest Dynamic Range setting (so with gain at zero) gives better results (as you also said) with longer exposures, but as well as with brighter (light polluted) skies.
So following this guide I'll need to use gain zero under light polluted skie... strange....

Thanks in advance!
Paolo
3 years 9 months ago #55852

• Thank you received: 10
What leadweight is saying is generally true, however because of the huge drop in read noise at gain 100, which is unique to these new Sony sensors , his statement is most likely not correct.

Just know that this topic has been debated at length in various threads on cloudy nights, with often a lot of disagreement , so don’t take it from me, please watch the YouTube video by dr robin glover, the developer of sharp cap, also be sure and watch the follow video on gain settings, which is linked in the description

3 years 9 months ago #55866

• Thank you received: 139
I've watched this video before, it's great. But what he basically says is there's no reason to ever take long subs with CMOS cameras. There's many advantages to doing short subs, like less reliance on tracking. But there is one good reason to do long subs, and I don't remember if he mentions or not. Cameras like the 2600 and 6200 have come out since this video was made. 55 MB subs on the 2600 and 100 MB subs on the 6200 require tons of processing power and hard drive space. You basically need a super computer to process large stacks of images with huge file sizes.

Yesterday I stacked an image that had 1,000 frames of 60s each. It took half the day. The longest I've done was 1,600 frames which took just over 8 hours on a 8 core iMac Pro. And that's images from the ASI1600 which are only 32 MB each. The largest stack I've done with the 2600 was around 300-400 images of 2 min subs. Going to 2 minutes of course cuts the number of subs in half but I'm hitting the limit of sub length in my bortle 7 skies with that time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
3 years 9 months ago #55869

In his follow Up where he discusses optimum gain that he had to skip over in the original talk, my takeaway is the lower read noise at gain 100 will get you a lot more faint detail , because the internal electronics of the sensor changes its conversion gain and drops the read noise with almost no penalty in dynamic range.

I agree that a ridiculous number of subs is counter productive, but you can’t get away from the read noise change at gain 100 with this camera, so at gain 0 your total imaging time would need to increase by about 9 times Give or take to get the same faint detail than at gain 100. That is really the main point I was trying to convey by referencing robin’s talk.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
3 years 9 months ago #55873

• Thank you received: 420
Doing some quick numbers using the tools.sharpcap.co.uk data for my sky (SQM 19.0) and telescope F-ratio (F/5) I get recommended exposure times of 3.16, 9.49 and 132 sec for L, RGB and 7 nm narrow band respectively when using a gain of 100 (read noise of 1.5) and of 17.2, 51.7 and 721 seconds when using gain 0. So to keep things practical, as Lead_weight also indicates, I should consider using gain 0 for L and RGB and gain 100 (or rather 110 because it should be slightly above the gain at which the change happens) for my sky and telescope. Very interesting...
3 years 9 months ago #55879

Not sure if the tool you used accounts for the multiplication factor for color/rgb if I remember was factor of 3, and factor of 25 for 12nm and 100 for 3nm narrowband.

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Brent.
3 years 9 months ago #55880
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 420
It does. Check the end of the video from which you took that still. The tool is mentioned there (which is why I used it in the first place). When you go to the webpage and select Mono-camera then you can see how selecting L or RGB or Narrowband (7 nm) modifies the computed sky electron rate.

By the way, the whole computation is done in JavaScript so someone could grab it and transform it in an offline tool :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 9 months ago #55884

• Thank you received: 7
Hello Paolo,

congratulations to your ASI2600, this a very good start in CMOS-imaging. I have got some experience with ASI cameras within the years, mostly good.
I got a gallery on my website with images sorted by camera: www.starhopper.eu
I got my ASI2600 some weeks ago and I used it in three whole nights from now.
What can I say?
The cooling is not as powerful as for the ASI1600 or ASI183. I operate these cameras at -20°C, this is fixed with the intend to reach this temperature around the year here in Germany. I decided to use -10°C for the ASI2600 because of the the same manner.
I also found that the temperature regulation oscillates within 0.8°C (peak-to-valley) around the setting temperature (no disturbing wind). I have not checked if this happens with the ASCOM driver too.
My second image I made was from a suburban site, but the object is always very low in the sky here. I used gain=100 and 4min subs.

I made two Masterbias and Masterdark (4min), one for gain=0 and one for gain=100. I will use gain=0 in the future for star clusters.
Thomas
3 years 9 months ago #55949

• Thank you received: 1
Hi Guys,
thanks again for your last posts.
Tonight I'm testing my ASI 2600 mc pro awith gain 100 at -10°C from a suburban sky.... I hope taht all will works fine.

@starhopper thanks for your considerations and compliments for your photo, I really like it. So beautyfull!

Kind regards
Paolo
3 years 9 months ago #56104

Time to create page: 1.067 seconds