INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SPC900 LX without mod

• Thank you received: 1
I just got a Phillips SPC900 I hoped I could use for guiding.
Most things on the setup are working but I can't seem to get the long exposure working on this cam.

It's not moded but my understanding was that it was not 100% necessary.
In particular I was under the impression one could use the LED ioctl in order to transmit long exposure commands.
In particular this thread bellow filled my heart with hope:
www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/721-how...d-long-exposure.html

@gaetan mentioned his driver can work without moding the cam (at least that's my understanding), so I ported his changes to the current driver and recompiled but despite I can load the new module with appropriate settings (flashled=1) I still get an error when clicking on the "SPC900 LED" button in the "Long Exposure" tab of the indi_v4l2_ccd panel:
2020-08-05T14:24:30: Can not set Lx Mode to SPC900 LED 
2020-08-05T14:24:30: ERROR: device does not support PWC ioctl

Anyone know how to shoot long exposure frames with the SPC900? Is there any solution which doesn't involve soldering and buying more electronic parts?
3 years 7 months ago #57772

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 88

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic SPC900 LX without mod

Hi alxgomz,
You need a modded camera to control the long exposure (it sets a specific pin available on the internal connector of the cam).
Usually the control of the long exposure pin is made through a serial port (RTS if I remember) and this adds another cable in addtion to the USB camera port.
The LXLED mod consists in unsoldering the led on the board and using that wire to control the long exposure pin. And the LXLED also needs a modded version
of the pwc kernel driver (which does not expose the LED control).
Thus unfortunately, you would have to mod the cam if you want to use it with long exposure.

Last point concerning the error message: it seems you did not use the modded kernel driver when you made your test: at least you should be able to turn off the led if you do not have a modded camera ;-)
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Jean-Luc.
3 years 7 months ago #58123

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic SPC900 LX without mod

As has been said, it will not work without the actual long exposure mod, so you have been misinformed.... it requires some skilful soldering work to do the mod.... :)
3 years 7 months ago #58136

• Thank you received: 1
OK thank you very much for the answer.
It indeed seems I missunderstood the purpose of the LXLED feature. I guess I was trying to convince myself it was not necessary to go the hard way... :)

Regards,
3 years 7 months ago #58188

Time to create page: 1.123 seconds