INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI294MM Pro INDI Drivers / Pi4

• Thank you received: 0
My Apologies for the barrage of Posts. I was not seeing them as posted and got a bit overzealous!

I have managed to use KStars for over a year now. I am not a Linux Savi person. So any help you can give me is appreciated. I recently added an ASI294MM Pro to my AP Rig. I have yet to get IndiServer to find the Camera attached to the USB3 port of the Pi4 I am using. I also use an ASI120MM as a guide camera. IndiServer has no problem finding that Camera, even when its plugged into the HUB of the ASI294MM Pro. So the USB3 Port of the ASI294MM is working. Pi4 is running: "Linux raspberrypi 4.19.75-v7l+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:51:41 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux"

Here is what I get from Ekos when I profile two ASI Cameras (the ASI120MM and the ASI294MM) and a Telescope Simulator:

==================================================
2020-10-16T16:00:45 Unable to establish remote devices:

Please ensure remote device name corresponds to actual device name.
2020-10-16T16:00:32 Guider port from ZWO CCD ASI120MM is ready.
2020-10-16T16:00:31 ZWO CCD ASI120MM is online.
2020-10-16T16:00:30 Guider port from Telescope Simulator is ready.
2020-10-16T16:00:30 Telescope Simulator is online.
2020-10-16T16:00:30 Telescope Simulator is online.
2020-10-16T16:00:30 INDI services started. Connection to remote INDI server is successful. Waiting for devices...
==================================================

This is how I am launching IndiServer : "indiserver -v indi_simulator_telescope indi_asi_ccd"

This method has always worked for me (without the Telescope Simulator of course), even when I had two USB2 ASI Cameras attached to the Pi4 / one for imaging and one for guiding. I was convinced I did not have the most recent "indi-asi" driver installed, but I have not seen any posts providing this as a remedy. One thread suggested running "sudo apt-get install indi-asi", but with this change, even the ASI120MM would no longer load. I just got :"Child process 1944 died" and "client shut down."

When I tried "sudo apt-get dist-update", I got "Invalid operation dist-update".

I could use some help with two things (for now):

1) Where can I find an actual List of Cameras supported by INDI / Either from ASI or on the INDI pages / I need to check that the ASI294MM Pro is supported
2) How do I make sure the "Latest" ASI drivers are available to my Pi4 when I run the IndiServer / I am using an install from over a year ago

My Linux is very basic, so please include Details...

Thanks again if anyone can help...
3 years 6 months ago #61756

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
The correct command is "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" but you can only do that after you do a "sudo apt-get update" to refresh the cache of the online package repositories. But before you do this, please make a backup of the SD card! After such an amount of time you are very likely to run into problems because the software updates perform a LOT of changes that very likely require manual intervention. I am sorry but if your Linux knowledge is basic then you may not be able to do this with our help on this forum only.

Still, in case you want to give it a try, you may want to do this. Once again, make sure to create a backup of your SD card before trying this!

There is a package manager called synaptic that can be started from a command line with

sudo synaptic

It is a graphical tool so you will need to connect the RPi to a monitor or TV via HDMI. That software *should* resolve all package conflicts and select which new packages to install and which old ones to remove.

Did I mention to create a backup of your SD card?
3 years 6 months ago #61761

• Thank you received: 420
And before I forget: which OS are you running? Is this Stellarmate, AstroBerry, Ubuntu, something else?

If Ubuntu, which version? If it is not 18.04 then forget about upgrading. The repositories for 18.10, 19.04 and 19.10 no longer are online so upgrading to 20.04 will not be possible.

I'll probably have more questions for you once you write your replies here...
3 years 6 months ago #61762

• Thank you received: 41
Hi
Check out this thread that covers two ASI cameras not being recognised. It is likely that your problem is not driver related. I use the same set up and had similar problems. Editing the rules files as per this thread sorted out the problem. indilib.org/forum/stellarmate/7374-no-as...ct-port-mapping.html
I dont think that you need to bother winding back the kernel now so dont follow those instructions at the start of the thread. Look to the end of the thread and change the rules file (just missing some backslashes) then see if you can connect.

Mike
3 years 6 months ago #61772

• Thank you received: 15
<strong>Strongly</strong> recommend running all gear on a powered USB3.1 hub, with the hub backhaul the only device plugged into USB on the unit. I had the same problem you did, using the same camera. Switching to a good quality powered hub (has it's own power supply), fixed the issue. The Raspberry Pi is well known for problems when powering items through its USB ports. Stellarmate functioned (and continues to do so) flawlessly after that.

I've had excellent luck with the "Pluggable" brand named hubs.
3 years 6 months ago #61815

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the support. I had a look at the responses and updating the Distribution was what made the most sense for me to try first. I had made an image of my SD Card in the Pi4 already so running the update just required the correct syntax. My lack of Linux Savi made me hesitate trying just anything. Thanks wvreeven for providing the correct commands.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get update

It worked. I am suspecting that the INDI-ASI driver was the main issue. The ASI294MM Pro seems to have been released in September, so I obviously had to do an update. Doing so seems to have got everything working. So THANK YOU....

Just for the record, I use:

Celestron Edge HD 800 OTA
CGEM-DX Mount
ASI294MM Pro Main Camera
William Optics M-G50PB-WB Guide Scope
ASI120MM mini Guide Camera
Raspberry Pie4 / 4Gig Running INDISERVER / Wireless
StarTech USB3 7 Port Powered HUB
West Mountain Radio / RIGrunner 4005H / 12V Power Distribution
Nautilus Marine Battery / 65AH
KStars

Looking at getting a Starizona HyperStar8

Cheers
3 years 6 months ago #61867

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds