INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY8 driver

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Bram Slagmolen on topic QHY8 driver

Hi JC,

I have the same problems as you, not being able to set gain and offset or the USB speed. Over the years, I have tried various incarnations of the QHY8.HEX file (from this forum and the QHY forum), with no real luck.

If you managed to work out a 'fix' in the driver that would indeed be amazing. Would you mind sharing your .HEX? (or mods in the source code which then needs to be recompiled)

Currently working in a windows 7 environment (which runs great), but would love to run in the Astroberry+Ekos env.

Cheers,
B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Aston
3 years 1 month ago #66629

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by JCAstro on topic QHY8 driver

So...

Firstly I had to review the step to compile and install this driver through the make file.

See firstly the file "qhy_ccd.ccp" that I have modify to validate gain,offset and USB Speed. You will see that the modification is very simple but not portable ( be care if your using QHY8L and 8Pro...). As you will see there one point that I was not able to activate is the binning 2X2 and 4X4... that a little bit frustarting whan I making a atroresolution wit hte 1X1 binning. It take longer timer than if I was able to active the 4X4 binning. That will be the next step.
If you fill confident, you can follow the indication done on "github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty" to recompile the QHY CCd driver with the "qhy_ccd.ccp" file I have send to you and install it.. If you do so, of course I will convince you to make a copy of your entire rasberry system due to the risk of installation crash you may.

If you don't fell confident , I propose to you to copy the lib here with "indi_qhy_ccd" and copy it in the /usr/bin directory renaming the existing file with old extention in case it is not working

File Attachment:

File Name: qhy8.zip
File Size:170 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: qhy8.zip
File Size:170 KB
. you should do that with the "sudo" prefix comman I supose as you are in the systme files. I am not sure that it will works due to that fact that I have use the "github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty" indication to compile and install the new lib. But let try... I think it shoud works.

in any case, let me know if it works !

If it works, on last thing, the command to reintithe usb connection if you interrupt the acquisition before the end of the exposition..:
open a command line and type:

JC
3 years 1 month ago #66693
Attachments:

Sorry message send to quicly...and the zip file have been dobbled..

Command to reset the usb port linked to the QHY8 with Rasbian :

sudo sh -c "echo 0 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.2/authorized"
sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.2/authorized"

1-1.2 is the number of the device you get with dsmeg comand. It could change...

If you don't do that, tha only maner to recover the link with the camer is to disconnect physicaly the USB port and to reconnect it ! This is a very particular bahaviour of this camera...

Hopping you will be able to use this QHY8 again in the Ekos system.

JC
3 years 1 month ago #66695

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Jimmy on topic QHY8 driver

Hi JC,

Thank you so much for sharing this, I have tried that on my Astroberry, now gain and offset will be adjustable. Meanwhile, the known problem of jamming will still appear after we make the change.

The jamming problem won't be resolved by reseting the USB port. I have tried the following when EKOS and KSTARS are on and off:

astroberry@astroberry:~ $ dmesg | grep -i qhy
[ 10.032707] usb 1-1.1.2: Product: QHY-8 S
[ 10.032721] usb 1-1.1.2: Manufacturer: QHY-CCD
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ sudo sh -c "echo 0 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.1.2/authorized"
[sudo] password for astroberry:
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.1.2/authorized"
sh: 1: echo: echo: I/O error

However, since the camera technically is working now, thank you again for sharing your work.
3 years 1 month ago #66705

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Bram Slagmolen on topic QHY8 driver

Hi TC,

Thank you as well! It all seems to work for me as well. The offset, gain and USB speed are available and working. I haven't tried it under the stars or with any sequences yet, but it looks promising.

I used your compiled library, but also had a look through your code modifications, and I am surprised that those mods would be required, and not caught by the main flow, but hey amazing job!

I just realise that I used the v2QHY8.HEX firmware (few messages up), but not sure if that was required. I had multiple QHY cameras attached and was physically unplugging the wrong one, so copied that version in place and realised I was unplugging the wrong camera:)

I tried binning, but as you said that is not working, well the image gets downloaded but at full resolution. This is fine with me, little slower with the focusing procedure I guess. I haven't tried or set up the plate solving, but I would assume you can use a reduction factor, which I am already using.

Anyway, I gave the whole setup a sanity check and it all seems to work nicely. So now I will need to rethink about how to reconfigure the whole camera/mount/telescope setup using the Kstars + Ekos environment. But that is good news!

Not sure how many others are there which have similar problems with the QHY8, but it may be worth putting it in git (GitHub or gitlab or any of the others). However it is logged in this thread so all good.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to check.

Thanks heaps for your work and efforts.

Cheers,
B
3 years 1 month ago #66728

OK ! I very glad that this works at the end is used by other than my own person ! So I am trying to investigate the reset of USB ( very important when you are using Ekos in remote at 500km...! ) and also the binnning and let you know if I get some news...

In the meantime enjoy with this camera that even it is old, is still interresting with its format, I think for tracking variable star/Ateroid or simply imaging a large field !

JC
3 years 1 month ago #66734

Replied by Mark Aston on topic QHY8 driver

Hi,

I've been trying to get my QHY8 camera to connect to Astroberry and replaced the Inid driver you prepared in the /usr/bin folder.

However, I'm just getting a message from Kstars saying the driver crashed and to try reopening.

I'm not very familiar with Astroberry nor Linux, so I was hoping you might be able to give me some thoughts as to what might be going wrong here.

I really want to replace my old PC with Astroberry, but my QHY8 is a key for my imaging and hence I just am looking for help to get this going.

Many thanks for your help and for the work that has gotten others going with this camera.

All the best

Mark
2 years 3 months ago #78356

Hi Mark,Sorry for the delay... here is the last release done for this driver hopping it will be compatible with your release of Astroberry. before putting the file in the usr/bin diretory, remove the .log extention thta I was abliged to add to pass the firewall. Tell me if it is not working  

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_qhy_ccd.log
File Size:586 KB
...Enjoy with your old QHY8..JC
2 years 3 months ago #78786
Attachments:

Hi JC, Many thanks for this. I have installed it OK, but when I start EKOS, it comes up with the error 'INDI Driver indi_qhy_ccd crashed. Restart it?'.

Could this be due to me needing to update the QHY8 firmware (which I see on the Forum may be an issue) or a compatibility issue with EKOS? I'm running KStars v3.5.5 (stable).

Many thanks

Mark
2 years 3 months ago #78798

Hi mark,

I have reinstalled the last release ofEKOS and effectively, it crash... So I recompile again the indi_qhy_ccd and it works... I send you in attachment the new driver and also the QHY8.HEX file .indi_qhy_ccd have to take place in /usr/bin directory ( using UNIX command cp  and rm  with"sudo" in prefix  ) qhy8.hex in /lib/firmware/qhy directory.Let me know if it works.best regards.JCHi mark,I have reinstalled the last release ofEKOS and effectively, it crash... So I recompile again the indi_qhy_ccd and it works...

I send you in attachment the new driver indi_qhy_ccd and also the QHY8.HEX file.

indi_qhy_ccd have to take place in /usr/bin directory ( using UNIX command cp  and rm  with"sudo" in prefix  ) and before...,  rename the file indi_qhy_ccd.log in indi_qhy_ccd ( remove the log extention set for contouning the fire wall) 

QHY8.HEX in /lib/firmware/qhy directory. ( rename the QHY8.log in QHY8.HEX , remove the log extention  and put .HEX, log extention set for contouning also the fire wall ....)take care about the case.. you are in the UNIX world.Let me know if it works.best regards.JC
2 years 2 months ago #79209
Attachments:

Hi JC,

Many thanks for your help and support on this.

I couldn’t see any attachments on your post - can you check they were attached?

All the best

Mark
2 years 2 months ago #79213

one more time...JC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Aston
2 years 2 months ago #79229
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds