INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focusing a Nikon D7500, how?

• Thank you received: 8
Hello all :)
I've recently started imaging with Ekos, and so far I'm very happy with it (see gear on my signature).
I do have a small question about focusing though. I cannot understand how to achieve good focus using a the Focus Module.

Let me start by saing that I've already read www.stellarmate.com/support/ekos/focus.html and watch all available youtube videos on this topic, but they weren't of much help.

What I used to do before using RPi-SM:
  1. turn on live view
  2. set magnification 1:1
  3. focus using a bathinov mask

I have recently played with the focus module, but I'm not sure this is a good solution for someone who doesn't have an autofocuser. Or am I wrong?
I then thought "OK, I can go the old way and use the live view", but I faced an issue. Basically, I have to turn everything off before being able to use live view.
My new workflow becomes then the following:
  1. stop guiding
  2. click disconnect from indi panel
  3. click stop from indi panel
  4. unplug usb from RPi
  5. turn on live view
  6. focus
  7. plug usb again
  8. start indi again
  9. start guiding again

As I have to do this around evey 60 minutes, this gets quite annoying very fast :( am I doing something wrong? There must be a better way to achieve focus, any ideas?

Additional unrelated question: when I use my camera lens instead of my APO refractor, can I use the autofocus capability to achieve focus? If yes, how?

Thanks a lot :)
3 years 2 months ago #66159

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

There is actually Bahtinov Mask Assistant built right into the focus module, and this is of course meant for those who want to perform manual focusing. Have you tried this already?
3 years 2 months ago #67028

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.346 seconds