INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Olympus OMD EM10 and GPHOTO2 Indi driver results and Question?

• Thank you received: 17
I am running Kstars 3.5.0 Build 2020-12-06T18:17:19Z on and Rpi 4 with 8 Gb RAM. I normally use two ZWO cameras (ASI 120 as a E-finder and for solves and an ASI533 as the main imaging camera) and they work wonderfully. However the main camera (ASI 533) has a small(ish) square format (17x17 mm), so I was trying to use my Olympus OMD EM10 Mark II in its place. I can connect to the camera, I can set all the option and image parameters in the Indi Control panel, but I cannot take an exposure. I have tried setting the camera on 'bulb' mode manually and in the program, but the exposure always fails (aborts).

With the camera connected (over USB and with the camera set to MTP transfer mode) I ran "gphoto2 --summary", and it came back and gave all the camera details, serial number, capture formats, etc. It listed the device capabilities as: "File Download, File Deletion, No File Upload, No Image Capture, No Open Capture, No vendor specific capture.

The command "gphoto2 --about" indicated that the driver supports cameras that support PTP or PictBridge and Media Players that support Media Transfer Protocol (MTP).

So I am pretty sure there is no way using this driver that I can use this particular model Olympus camera (the more expensive models are computer controllable over USB).

However, I can totally control my Olympus camera remotely from my cell phone over a WiFi connection to the camera's WiFi network. So my question is: Is there any way to implement the Gphoto2 driver over a WiFi connection rather than a USB connection (as the USB connection has limited capability)? It looks like the only function that may need to be implemented is the exposure and its associated settings as any download could take place over the USB.

thanks for any feedback or ideas,
Ron
3 years 3 months ago #66314

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds