INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Fine grained GPS/UT timestamping on captured video

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I am new to INDI and so please point me to RTFM if appropriate. Does INDI support time-stamping captured video with (ideally GPS derived) UT timestamps on each frame of the video? Also, what about audio that goes with the video? I am asking because I am trying to figure out a way to use INDI as a foundation for a rig that would be used for IOTA occultation observations that need millisecond accuracy in capturing the timing of these events.

Thanks
3 years 2 months ago #66431

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's possible to add these to the FITS Header, it's up to you to add whatever additional implementation necessary. For example, QHYCCD 174GPS camera is used for occultation and records the GPS time in the FITS header. For video, what format you're using? There is support for SER.
3 years 2 months ago #66432

• Thank you received: 0
Currently I use a sony alpha 5100 with audio track from shortwave timing stations to measure timing. Needless to say, this is cumbersome and hence my query.
The QHYCCD 174GPS is a hardware solution. How would adding the timing information to the FITS or SER header work with my existing camera? I am software literate so if you can provide some initial pointers on what needs to change, I can do the work. I would guess that I would have to modify INDI that receives the video feed from the camera to insert the GPS timestamps.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Kedar Patankar.
3 years 2 months ago #66435

• Thank you received: 133
Not sure, but it seems the SER videos of INDI do already contain UT timestamps. As defined in the standard, they will be after the image data in an extension. If I load one of the SER files in ser-player and check the ser info it tells me
Timestamps:
 * Timestamps are all in order
 * Min timestamp: 20/12/2020 19:09:26.929346 UT
 * Max timestamp: 20/12/2020 19:09:59.103201 UT
 * Min to Max timestamp difference: 32.1739 s
 * Average frames per second: 5.50136
Assuming this is based on system time you'd only need to sync that to GPS using something like NTP.
3 years 2 months ago #66475

Time to create page: 0.626 seconds