INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI cameras not detected by Ekos on MacOS

• Thank you received: 420
Hi,

Not sure if this belongs here on in Development. I have a brand new MacBook Pro with only USB-C ports. It is running Big Sur. My ASI120MC and EFW are connected to the hub of my ASI6200MM which is then connected to my MacBook via a USB hub. As such, I see the devices in Apple Icon -> About This Mac -> System Report -> USB but Ekos refuses to detect them. I have not tried to connect the ASI120MC and EFW directly to the hub and I will do that next. In any case, has anyone tried connecting ASI hardware like this and succeeded to get them started in Ekos?

Thanks, Wouter
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 1 month ago #67474

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4
Hello,

I had a similar problem when 2 ASI cameras were attached (one 120MM for guiding and one 174MCPro or 533MCPro for imaging). But now I connected my complete hardware via a USB-Hub too but currently I use a Starlight Lodestar for guiding and this works fine for me. I had some issues to connect the ASI camera via Pegasus Astro Powerbox Advanced, maybe this is cause by the USB-Cable.
Ia have the feeling that the original cable works best.
Maybe you should try to connect the camera step by step directly via USB-Port and then switch to the HUB.

Greetings
Andreas
3 years 1 month ago #67484

Thanks for the advice. However, as I pointed out, my MacBook doesn't have the correct USB ports to be able to connect the ASI cameras directly to it. I *have* to use a hub because my MacBook only has USB-C ports.

Also, all hardware works flawlessly when connected to my Raspberry Pi 4 so I am sure this is related to the USB-C hub. I just would like to know what the issue is and if I need to change something with the hub or if it is something in Ekos.

Still, I will try to connect them one by one and see which one(s) connect and which one(s) don't.

Thanks, Wouter
3 years 1 month ago #67485

Ok, I made a quick test. My MacBook 13 also has only 2 USB-C ports.
I connected thru PPBA and with USB-3 to USB-Cable. This caused some isssues with the cameras. They were both connected but I was not able to collect any images.
Now I switched with USB-3 cable to a USB/USB-C dongle and everything works now and I tested another USB-Hub too.

After that I conneted 3 cameras via PBBA, ASI533, ASI120MMS and the Lodestar with USB-3 cable to a HUB that fits directly in both USB-C ports on the MacBook. Sorry I don't know
how this thing is called, is a simple one from Amazon around 15 Euros. I assume it is caused by the cable.
Can you test with another one?
3 years 1 month ago #67486

Wow thanks that is very useful to know. I'll see if I can get hold of a different USB-C hub.
3 years 1 month ago #67487

Hi again,

to sum it up again:
- USB3-USB-C cable is not working
- USB-C/USB adaptor dongle + USB-3 (original ASI Cable) works
- some USB-3 + dongle works
- USB-C/Thunderbold-hub with multiple ports is not working stable

That's what I found out.

Hope this helps a bit.
3 years 1 month ago #67488

So I have two Thunderbolt hubs and tried one of them so thanks for confirming that that also doesn't work for you. When you write "USB-C/USB adaptor dongle", do you mean something like this:

www.cnet.com/how-to/usb-c-to-usb-adapter...cheaper-than-apples/

If not, can you post a picture here so I know what to look for?

Having written that, why doesn't the Thunderbolt hub work and is it possible to get it working?
3 years 1 month ago #67491

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
3 years 1 month ago #67494

Using the latest beta for MacOS, my cameras and filter wheel now connect without issues when using a Thunderbolt hub:

www.indilib.org/forum/development/8882-n...5-2-dmg-to-test.html
3 years 1 month ago #67667

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds