×

INDI Library v1.9.2 Released (14 Sep 2021)

Bimonthly Stable INDI Library release introduces new drivers and fixes for existing ones.

indi_gphoto and focus module issue since V3.0 and Astroberry

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, 
I need some help...
I have two RaspberryPIs, one running a kstars-ekos combination which was mostly compiled from source, and one with Astroberry upgraded to latest version. Both run kstars 3.5.2 stable, but the Astroberry version has gphoto 3.0 vs. the gphoto 2.9 from the hand-compiled Raspi. This is the one having the issue:
If I connect my Canon DSLR, and I set the target to save the images to "SDCard" rather than "RAM" (because I like to have the pictures on card), the focus module cannot find the pictures anymore and reports failed exposures. This works fine with gphoto 2.9 on the compiled-from-source Raspi.
I also noted, that on the Indi Control Panel of Kstars, on the "Canon DSLR EOS 1000d" tab (where I also set the preference to RAM or SDCard) under the tab "imgsettings", the value for "imageformatcf" shows "unknown_value 400". Also under the tab "capturesettings", the value for "bracketmode" also shows "unknown_value 0000".
Both of these variables show fine under version 2.9 (as "RAW" and two values 0 and 0 respectively).
On a side note - the capture module works fine and displays the pictures, even when they are saved to SDCard. Only the focus module has an issue with this.
<strong>Here are my questions: </strong>Could there be a problem with the newer 3.0 version of gphoto or am I doing something else wrong? Can I downgrade the gphoto driver to 2.9 on the Astroberry and how can I do that (where would I find source code for 2.9)? 
Please help - The alternative of saving into RAM is really cumbersome with the Astroberry since it requires extra work to get it off there and on my main picture editing machine.
Thanks for any help.
Stephan
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Stephan. Reason: Changed title to include Camera Names since problem occurs only with Canon 1000d
6 months 3 weeks ago #69575

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 1
So, I did some more research. It seems to be an issue with my Canon 1000d. If I attach my Canon 760d, everything works fine, including the values in "imageformatcf" and "capturesettings". In the older version (2.9) it worked fine with my Canon 1000d.
Any idea on what I can do or where this comes from? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Stephan
 
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Stephan.
6 months 3 weeks ago #69621

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 14
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Stephan

It seems there are a few issues with indi_gphoto since v3, Ive raised one here too: www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/9317-cl...mk-ii-fits-file.html
Fits files arent being captured correctly for me on my 5D mkII.
I know this doesnt help your specific issue, although I hope we can get enough attention for it to be investigated by someone who might know the code.
Hang in there, fingers crossed it get resolved soon.

Thanks
Maria
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephan
6 months 3 weeks ago #69630

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Maria, at least I am not alone and this makes me feel encouraged already. In the meantime, I am trying to do more tests to pinpoint the problem better.
Stephan
6 months 3 weeks ago #69639

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 1
All right,
this is what I found out. There are (at least) two issues going on:
The missing variable names in "imageformatcf" and "capturesettings" show up after version 2.5.22 of libgphoto2. Up to 2.5.22, the variables are displayed correctly with my Canon 1000d.
The problem with the focus module being unable do load the pictures when saved to SDCard is happening after indi-gphoto-ccd version 2.9. The 3.0 version (included in indilib-3rdparty-driver 1.8.6 and higher) shows the erroneous behavior. This, also, seems to be happening only with my Canon 1000d.
So, right now, I have compiled a version of kstars 3.5.2stable together with indi-gphoto-ccd version 2.9 (from indilib-3rdparty-driver release 1.8.5) using libgphoto2 version 2.5.22.
This works for me for now, but still, it would be nice if one of the developers could check into both issues...
Thanks,
Stephan
6 months 3 weeks ago #69647

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds