INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars on Rockpi works great except for Touptek Indi ccd driver.

• Thank you received: 5
You can download Armbian with Kernal 5.1 from here:

www.armbian.com/rock-pi-4/
2 years 7 months ago #74107

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102
Nice to know, I'll give it a try!

I'm also having a look at the Odroid N2+ 4GB. It's even faster than the Rock Pi, and has active development. They have 5.11 kernel with Ubuntu 20.10 and Debian 11 running on it. And it has a 40-pin GPIO header compatible with my stepper motor HAT.

I'm amassing quite the collection of single board computers. :)
2 years 7 months ago #74108

You are not the only one.
I have :
    Raspberry Pi Zero,
    RPi2
    RPi3 (just sold a second RPi3)
    RPi4 which is on my mount.

and now
The RockPi4 which absolutely flies when using M.2 NVME but  I may have to change to a ZWO cam for my guidecam as I cant fix the toupcam issue.

Not looked at the Odroid N2+ 4GB ...yet

Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by David Thompson.
2 years 7 months ago #74109

So thanks for the heads up on running Armbian. It works much better. I've been running KStars just looping exposures on both my imaging camera (ASI1600MM Pro) and guide camera (ASI290MM Mini) continuously for about an hour, with no hiccups. Sweet!

I need to rewrite my stepper motor INDI driver once again, because Armbian uses a different method for accessing the GPIO pins. But I'm getting good at porting this to new OSes. :)

One thing somewhat concerning, is that when I plug my powered USB3 hub into the upper USB3 port on the Rock Pi, I get nothing. lsusb doesn't show anything, other than the built-in hubs. Plugging into the bottom USB3 port works fine. Dead USB3 port? It doesn't affect me, because everything goes over the powered USB hub. But weird just the same.

-- Kevin
2 years 7 months ago #74122

I think there is something about having the NVME M.2 connection that interferes in some way with the USB3 port on the rockpi not a big deal though.
Glad Armbian works better.
2 years 7 months ago #74125

Last night was a full night of imaging with the Rock Pi 4B. ASI1600MM Pro imaging camera, and ASI290MM Mini guide camera. No issues. I also had my Waveshare Stepper Motor HAT installed on the board. Autofocus worked beautifully as well. As a bonus, the HAT provides power to the Rock Pi, so I didn't need a separate 5V supply for the Pi. Just the 12V that goes to the HAT, and it provides 5V to the computer via the 40-pin header.

I do like the extra speediness of the Rock Pi. Especially the storage. I used a 16GB eMMC module, got it as a kit. So much faster than the SD card on the Raspberry Pi. Even the built-in WiFi works better than the Raspberry Pi.

So I would definitely recommend this as a pretty much drop-in replacement for the Raspberry Pi for most people. The only thing that would slow down most people is having to build INDI and KStars from source, since there aren't any repositories for that yet. And Astroberry wouldn't work. So there's some manual work to do, which may not be for everyone.

One nice thing about the Odroid N2+ that I was considering, is that it takes 12V input, and not 5V. So for people like me that have a 12V distribution block (Rig Runner), that makes things simple. I will probably pick up an Odroid N2+ 4GB, just to play with. The specs are even better than the Rock Pi, and is still compatible with my stepper motor HAT.
2 years 7 months ago #74144

Great news.

There is another version of Armbian that is based on Ubuntu that also works on the Rockpi 4.
It's called TwisterOS.

It gives you the ability to simply use the stable or bleeding edge version of Kstars/Ekos by simply adding the ppa.

You can get TwisterOS for the RockPi from here:

twisteros.com/twisterarmbian.html

Its best to use the mirror link on this site as the host site is VERY slow. You do get a google warning but all is well.

And the ppa links to get Kstars can be found here.

indilib.org/download

This combination gives you speed and the ability to use the ubuntu ppa to get the stable or nightly builds when needed without having to compile from source.

Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by David Thompson.
2 years 7 months ago #74146

Ah, good news on the PPA! I'm all setup now with Armbian, and INDI and KStars built from source, so I'm good to go. But for new users to the Rock Pi, that would be an excellent place to start.
2 years 7 months ago #74147

• Thank you received: 558
Kevin,

When comparing your RockPi 4b with the RPi4, I've read that you say it's much faster. Are you comparing with an RPi4 with SSD? For sure the SSD improves the speed of the RPi4 too (e.g. I'm currently running an 8Gb Rpi4 w/SSD).

Also, it seems many computer boards are hard-to-get these days. E.g. I've been looking into the latest NUCs, and they're always out-of-stock. Have you tried any of those?

Is this the board you're using: www.amazon.com/SmartFly-info-Computer-Du...ctronics&sr=1-1&th=1
The details there are confusing, e.g. it says "...eMMC module--Optional...". Does that just mean that the connector is there, but you have to supply your own SSD and cable?

Thanks,
Hy
2 years 7 months ago #74284

Sorry, yes I was comparing Rock Pi with eMMC to a Raspberry Pi with SD card. So probably not a fair comparison. But the Rock Pi does have a faster CPU than the Raspberry Pi. And for me at least, the WiFi on the Rock Pi gets a stronger signal, and therefore faster speeds than the Raspberry Pi. I haven't needed to use my USB WiFi dongle with the Rock Pi.

I ordered mine here: www.aliexpress.com/item/4000190233933.html but it seems they are out of stock now. Mine came with a USB eMMC reader so I could install the OS on the module.
2 years 7 months ago #74286

Just jumping in here.

The Rockpi4B that I got came with 32GB of  EMMC memory, not all suppliers include it so worth checking.

I did a benchmark using gnome-disks. on my Rockpi4B and compared using an SD card or even a M.2 MVNE memory module.

The differences speak for themselves.

This is a simple read test and the average speeds achieved I will let the numbers speak for themselves!
SD Card.     ~  20 MB/sec
EMMC.        ~ 160 MB/sec
M.2 NVME  ~1500 MB/sec

To be fair the write speed average is much lower for the M.2 NVME and very similar to the EMMC. at 160 MB/sec.

The SD card write speed is still around 20 MB/sec.

The RockPi flies and blows the Raspberry Pi out of the water, but there is a very small user base out there so take care.

Just wish I could get my Toupcam to work with it.

2 years 7 months ago #74294

Wow that's quite the jump from eMMC to m.2 NVME. For me anyway, I don't need that much speed. I prefer the compactness of the eMMC in its little socket on the back of the board. I don't store images on the Pi, it writes them over WiFi to a network share on my NAS indoors as the images are captured. Some people will bulk transfer at the end of the night, I prefer to just save to the network share in real time. So for my use case, the eMMC is more than adequate. Others may feel differently.
2 years 7 months ago #74297

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds