INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Is there something odd in the FIts header?

• Thank you received: 20
I'm trying to read the cards from a fits file made by indi. CCfits only reads 39 cards. There are 52 in the header. One of the cards it won't read is "BZERO". The reason I ask if it is wonky is that I expected 36 cards in the primary header and the rest in an extension. I may very well be reading the docs wrong, but CCfits is having trouble reading it. I've looked at Fits files from other sources, but haven't found any that exceed the 36 cards yet.

Thanks,
Dave
2 years 8 months ago #73971

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I seem to have answered this. The Fits Verifier at fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_verify.html says the Fits file is fine. I'm just not reading it corrrectly, I guess.
2 years 8 months ago #73972

• Thank you received: 133
Yes, indeed: The FITS header block size is 2880 bytes, or 36 lines of 80 characters. If the header is longer than 36 cards, a new block is started. There's (AFAIK) no limit to the number of header blocks. You just need to read until you hit the 'END' card.....
2 years 7 months ago #74232

Thanks. I thought that was the case, and the FITS verifier worked, but CCFits would only read 39 of the 52 cards. I was using "readAllKeys()" method, which oddly enough, doesn't read all keys. Only certain categories and then only certain data types in those categories.
2 years 7 months ago #74249

Time to create page: 0.795 seconds