INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI driver sends image after ABORT

• Thank you received: 370
Is there a certain reason why the ASI driver delivers a frame if capturing has been aborted? This behavior can confuse KStars when the stop button is pressed in the Capture tab. Consider the following scenario:
  • Use the scheduler with the scheduler configured so that it restarts aborted captures
  • Start the scheduler and wait until capturing has started
  • Press the stop button
The expected behavior is that the current capture will be discarded and the scheduler immediately restarts capturing.

With the ASI driver sending the frame to KStars, the frame will be received - due to the download delay - by the capture module after capturing has been restarted. Therefore it considers the frame as the result of the restarted capture, although this is running, takes it as new frame and start the next capture. When this happens while the driver is still capturing, it aborts the current capture and starts the new one - and sends again the aborted frame.

Is there really a reason why the ASI driver behaves as described? Handling this behavior inside of KStars looks difficult, I would prefer if the ASI driver gets corrected.

Cheers
Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
2 years 6 months ago #75332

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
I just experienced this for the first time last night on a fresh build off master. I, too, expect an aborted capture to be discarded, and am quite certain it was in the past. This is easy to reproduce as well. Start capturing with guiding, set things up to abort if guiding is lost, and manually abort the guiding. The frame being captured will be written, and the new exposure starts from the time left when in this mode.

I had some guiding issues last night that had this manifest multiple times. I have things set to abort if the guide deviation is above a threshold, and at one point it did abort after abort and wrote frames, increasing the frame count each time until my set 30 frames was expended. They ended up being all junk, of course as there was no duration to the exposure. This seems to be a very recent change as I do not recall this happening before.

Jim
2 years 6 months ago #75333

• Thank you received: 107
I think this happened to me. I started imaging with scheduler where I set it to repeat until dawn. It run nicely but in the morning I found FITS viewer windows with "Preview" in title. I think last exposure got aborted because it reached dawn time.
Also same behaviour occur even without scheduler. Just start preview exposure in capture module and press stop button there.
Build from git last stable version of INDI and Kstart that were released month ago.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by nou.
2 years 6 months ago #75369

• Thank you received: 160
I had the same experience. Happened once I clicked "stop sequence" in the sequence queue. AFAIR the image was shown in FITSviewer but it was not saved.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Alfred.
2 years 6 months ago #75371

• Thank you received: 370
Hi folks,
I think I could fix this error, the fix is available in the latest master on GitHub.
If you know how to compile indi-3rdparty from sources, checkout the latest version.

Cheers
Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Kevin Ross
2 years 6 months ago #75440

• Thank you received: 133
Seems to work indeed. Thanks a lot - that was really irritating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wolfgang Reissenberger
2 years 6 months ago #75463

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds