INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Translation of INDI driver LOG strings

• Thank you received: 8
Hi,

I am currently reading and harmonizing Ekos and KStars translation in French (kstars.po file).

I was wondering if there were a project to translate INDI LOG_* messages. I haven't found any po files in indi/drivers/*.

It would be a huge added value to the entire project to have those messages translated.

Thoughts?

steve
2 years 1 week ago #82065

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 107
Logs are not meant to be translated as they serve debug purpose for developers. They need to be able to read them when you upload them.
2 years 1 week ago #82067

• Thank you received: 8
I understand that but I don't agree 100%. For instance, I have turn logs off and I get this, in the Indi control panel:

2022-04-06T18:28:10: [INFO] Force BULB is enabled. All expsures shall be captured in BULB mode except for subsecond captures.

To me this is not a message for a developer but for the user since it is an interesting info for the user when he/she wants to capture a Bias frame for instance. And there are other message like this, for the sesto driver:

grep -n 'LOG_' sestosenso2.cpp
240: LOG_INFO("Parameters updated, focuser ready for use.");
242: LOG_WARN("Failed to inquire parameters. Check logs.");
275: LOG_INFO("Error retrieving data from device, please ensure focuser is powered and the port is correct.");
509: LOG_WARN("Motor hold current set to 0, motor hold setting will have no effect");
528: LOG_ERROR("Failed to apply motor rates");
551: LOG_ERROR("Failed to apply motor currents");
652: LOG_INFO("Start Calibration");
673: LOG_INFO("Already started calibration. Proceed to next step.");
755: LOG_INFO("Calibration completed");
791: LOG_INFO("Start Backlash Measure");
810: LOG_INFO("Already started backlash measure. Proceed to next step.");
836: LOG_INFO("Backlash measurement completed");
942: LOG_INFO("Motor hold OFF. You may now manually adjust the focuser. Remember to enable motor hold once done.");
948: LOG_INFO("Motor hold ON. Do NOT attempt to manually adjust the focuser!");
1165: LOG_INFO("Focuser at home position.");
1177: LOG_INFO("Focuser reached requested position.");
1261: LOG_WARN("Please check 12v DC power supply is connected.");
1303: LOG_ERROR("Failed setting attributes on serial port and init command sets");
1347: LOG_ERROR("setTTYFlags: failed getting tty attributes.");
1353: LOG_ERROR("setTTYFlags: failed setting attributes on serial port.");

Also, for debugging purpose, one could imagine setting an environment variable (like LC_ALL) to switch back to English when needed.

I just say this because I think it's a bit of a shame to have the entire KStars and Ekos interface translated and not the INDI panel log message.

In fact, some buttons in the Indi control panel are translatable while other are not (as almost all the item description).
2 years 1 week ago #82074

Time to create page: 0.633 seconds