INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI DBUS Error: Service Unknown

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I have a Starlight Xpress all sky camera which is running with a python script right now on a windows computer. So, at the moment I am using ASCOM protocol in python to control the camera. However, INDI Dbus scripting seems like a good way to have it run on my stellarmate. I started with the example script indibus.py and it should run without errors when I dont change anything, right? However when I run it this error shows:
runfile('/home/stellarmate/Downloads/indidbus.py', wdir='/home/stellarmate/Downloads')
/home/stellarmate/Downloads/indidbus.py:12: DeprecationWarning: Importing dbus.glib to use the GLib main loop with dbus-python is deprecated.
Instead, use this sequence:

from dbus.mainloop.glib import DBusGMainLoop

DBusGMainLoop(set_as_default=True)

from dbus import glib
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<ipython-input-1-857853e33ddf>", line 1, in <module>
    runfile('/home/stellarmate/Downloads/indidbus.py', wdir='/home/stellarmate/Downloads')

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/spyder_kernels/customize/spydercustomize.py", line 678, in runfile
    execfile(filename, namespace)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/spyder_kernels/customize/spydercustomize.py", line 98, in execfile
    builtins.execfile(filename, *where)

File "/home/stellarmate/Downloads/indidbus.py", line 21, in <module>
    "/KStars/INDI" # Object's path

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 241, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 248, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 180, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 278, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)

DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.kstars was not provided by any .service files

Is there anything I still have to change in the example script or anything else I do wrong possibly?

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

Matti
1 year 11 months ago #82789

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DBus is used when KStars is already running, I presume it was not running with this driver when you executed the script above?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matti
1 year 11 months ago #82794

• Thank you received: 0
Yes thanks a lot! I seemed to have missed this somewhere.
1 year 11 months ago #82796

Time to create page: 0.697 seconds