INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

XISF support

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic XISF support

Yes all Zlib, LZ4 and LZ4-HC with byte shuffling will be supported.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
1 year 1 month ago #90033

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello you can now test it.
First clone LibXISF gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/libXISF run usual cmake commands
cmake -B build -S . && make && sudo make install

Then clone this branch of indi, build and install
github.com/nouspiro/indi/tree/feature/xisf_support
Then fetch latest master from indi-3rdparty compile and install.
Lastly clone and compile this kstars from here invent.kde.org/nou/kstars/-/tree/feature/xisf_support
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Jarno Paananen
1 year 1 month ago #90245

• Thank you received: 165

Replied by Jarno Paananen on topic XISF support

Very nice work! Did a quick test and didn't notice any problems. After enabling compression from INDI control panel the files were roughly half size which is quite welcome :) PixInsight was happy with the files so no complaints from me.
1 year 1 month ago #90323

Compression settings in INDI control panel enable LZ4+SH compression.

I added to version 0.1.1 environment variable LIBXISF_COMPRESSION that can be used to force compression. It accept these values
  • zlib
  • lz4
  • lz4hc
  • zlib+sh
  • lz4+sh
  • lz4hc+sh
You can also append :NUMBER to set compression level for ZLIB and LZ4HC. For ZLIB 0-9 is acceptable and 1-12 for LZ4HC. So for example if you will run kstars like this it will have effect.
export LIBXISF_COMPRESSION=lz4hc+sh:9
kstars
1 year 1 month ago #90326

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic XISF support

Using today's release for 3.6.4 Beta, Build: 2023-02-21T18:07:04Z choosing XISF in my indi_nikon_ccd driver (with a Z7) using NEF (raw), XISF, compression (enabled or disabled), capture Target RAM, kills the driver.
It works when I choose FITS as the storage format.

Not sure if it was ever intended to work on a DSLR driver.

Cheers
1 year 1 month ago #90759

• Thank you received: 165

Replied by Jarno Paananen on topic XISF support

I don't see any fundamental reason why it would not, but it also requires version of INDI with XISF plugin and drivers compiled against that version (no changes required in the driver as such, it's handled by the INDI camera base class). If there is nothing meaningful in the logs, it's worth checking that you have libindixisf.so plugin installed and so on.
1 year 1 month ago #90762

gphoto driver do conversion CR2->FITS. I added XISF to that codepath. It should work with this. github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/pull/736
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by nou.
1 year 1 month ago #90763

It looks like github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/pull/736 needs libopencv-dev to be added to the build environment.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Jerry Black.
1 year 1 month ago #90764

So for me at least, this doesn't work. Probably my build environment, or just not doing the correct things. I have downloaded the nightly PPA and separately tried a build from source.

My log file is attached. The telescope isn't attached, I start with a FITS capture and then switch to a XISF.
The FITS capture works
2023-02-25T11:47:00.712 AST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Captured /home/blackastro/Images/garbage/garbage/Light/LPR/garbage_2023-02-25T11-46-59_Light_LPR_008.fits"

Note that after choosing XISF, the file path appears to be wrong

[2023-02-25T11:47:45.124 AST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - Preparing capture job "/home/blackastro/Images/garbage/garbage/Light/LPR/garbage_\\d\\d\\d\\d-\\d\\d-\\d\\dT\\d\\d-\\d\\d-\\d\\d_Light_LPR" for execution.
the driver crashes at this point.

Is this just me and evidence that my build is wrong? or is there something more here?
Thanks
1 year 1 month ago #90864
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic XISF support

I just added a Craft formula after Jasem told me about the new libxisf. This will allow building on MacOS and Windows.

invent.kde.org/packaging/craft-blueprint...1b12692fd431c7c438e8
1 year 1 month ago #90879

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic XISF support

So after I made this recipe and installed libxisf into craft, I tried to build indiserver again and it failed saying the following:

In file included from /Users/rlancaste/AstroRoot/craft-root/download/git/libs/indiserver/libs/indixisf/indixisf.cpp:1:
In file included from /Users/rlancaste/AstroRoot/craft-root/download/git/libs/indiserver/libs/indixisf/indixisf.h:1:
/Users/rlancaste/AstroRoot/craft-root/download/git/libs/indiserver/libs/indixisf/../indibase/fitskeyword.h:23:10: fatal error: 'fitsio.h' file not found
#include <fitsio.h>
^~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.

Then I removed the libxisf header files and the library files and built indiserver again and it worked fine. I know fitsio.h is referenced in multiple places in INDI and other libraries used by us in KStars and other astro software, so I don't think the issue is with cfitsio or with my installation. If it is relevant, note that when building with craft, we are not using files located in /usr or /usr/local, it is a completely different root directory used by craft. On my machine for example, the root directory is /Users/rlancaste/AstroRoot/craft-root/, but this can be totally different on another machine.

Do you have any ideas why building indiserver with libxisf present would cause it to not find key header files? Is there a bug in INDI code or in libxisf code?

Thanks,

Rob
1 year 1 month ago #90904

Try add these two lines into indixisf/CMakeLists.txt
find_package(CFITSIO REQUIRED)
include_directories(${CFITSIO_INCLUDE_DIR})
1 year 1 month ago #90906

Time to create page: 1.167 seconds