INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Cross-compile INDI for Raspberry PI

• Thank you received: 1
Hi, I am developing INDI focuser driver for my electronic focuser. Basically I have finished the driver code, built and test on X86 Ubuntu machine. Now the focuser can be controlled with indiserver running on x86 Ubuntu machine, and ekos on Windows.

Now I want to cross-compile INDI and the driver for Raspberry PI. I still use the 64bit X86 Ubuntu machine. I tried to build the indi core:
First I set the cross-compile tools:
export CC=arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
export CXX=arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++

Then I run cmake:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/indi/installarm -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DINDI_BUILD_UNITTESTS=1 -DINDI_BUILD_INTEGTESTS=1 ../../indi

Now I got the errors:
-- Looking for timespec_get
-- Looking for timespec_get - found
-- Looking for clock_gettime
-- Looking for clock_gettime - found
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:146 (message):
Could NOT find ZLIB (missing: ZLIB_LIBRARY) (found version "1.2.11")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:393 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
/usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindZLIB.cmake:115 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
libs/indidevice/CMakeLists.txt:5 (find_package)[/color]

It seems there is lack of ZLIB (and probably there are lack of other libs).

Could someone please help on that. Do I need to cross-compile those libs manually? Or is there any instructions for cross-compile INDI for Raspberry PI? Thanks!
11 months 4 days ago #92394

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
I haven't compiled on the RPi for a couple years, but, FWIW, when I did develop on it, I compiled natively.
It was quite possible to do so of a 4Gb RPi4, though it took a while (e.g. guessing about 30 minutes for all of INDI, 1 hour for all of KStars/Ekos).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Chen
11 months 4 days ago #92398

Thank you for your reply! Perhaps I can try it in the same way.
11 months 4 days ago #92399

• Thank you received: 7
Did you make and progress? I would be very much interested to use this driver on a RaspberryPi 4B under EKOS.

BTW, did you check out INDIGO? Peter and Rumen from CloudMakers would probably be very open to develop and compile the driver for INDIGO and maybe even for INDI.
www.cloudmakers.eu/xindigo/
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Willi.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92824

Hi Willi,
Yes I have compiled and tested the driver successfully on Raspberry PI. I use the way that Hy suggested, i.e., compiled the code on Raspberry PI. It's quite simple and just like what we need to do on x86/x64 Linux. Now the driver has been merged into the main respository.

For now I haven't checked INDIGO, but I am very interested in it and will be happy if the driver is useful for more astrophotograpers. It's so good if people can help develop/integrate the driver. Thanks for your info and I'll learn how to go further!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willi
10 months 2 weeks ago #92828

• Thank you received: 7
Hi Frank,

This is excellent news. Thank you!

I just learned about this focuser this week and I am thinking to get it now. I rely on INDI- or INDIGO-based drivers. Great to hear there is this progress.

Check with Peter from CloudMakers for a potential INDIGO driver:
www.cloudmakers.eu/about/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Chen
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Willi.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92836

Time to create page: 0.765 seconds