INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos EAA Road Map

This is not a new topic as it has been discussed *many* times over the years. Ekos is more geared toward long-exposure astrophotography. While there are elements for EAA in Ekos, it's missing quite a few. I'm trying to put together a formal list of tasks that we can then add to our Ekos Road Map, and perhaps gain more contributors in the process!

Major milestones:
1. Live Stacking
2. Adjustable Histogram
3. Planetary/Lunar imaging improvements.
4. ???

Please share your thoughts and keep it simple.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Studio
11 months 1 day ago #92999

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Ekos EAA Road Map

Perhaps some shared features from this neat project: indilib.org/forum/clients/13006-astralit...tacking.html?start=0
11 months 17 hours ago #93017

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by Chris Kuethe on topic Ekos EAA Road Map

One big question that comes to mind for me is "where would this hypothetical EAA tool run?" Controlling an EAA session from my phone using the Stellarmate app is different from VNC-ing into my telescope controller, which is different from scanning a folder on my NAS and getting Siril to do the live stacking on my workstation.

Don't forget about solar astronomy. That'll probably be similar to Planetary / Lunar.

Some sort of image quality metric would be useful, especially in the FITS header. I've been trying to estimate things after the fact with the analyze file, using guide SNR, number of guide stars, number of sub stars, sky background. When filtering subs in Siril, I also use the roundness, number of stars, and FHWM as metrics to filter out low quality exposures. It seems to make a lot sense for Ekos to add its opinion of image quality, and then any downstream tool could choose to use it.

I'd be most interested in doing collaborative EAA. Let's say Alice and Bob want to do some virtual astronomy together. Maybe one of them lives in a dark site, and the other in the city. Maybe one of them is in the northern hemisphere and the other is in the southern hemisphere. They may want to pass control of a single instrument between each other, or perhaps they want one of them to be the presenter/driver, and the other can be the viewer. Where I'm going with this is that it's probably a good idea to decouple the EAA tool (which I imagine is an image processor) from the control and acquisition that Ekos already performs.
11 months 14 hours ago #93021

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Curtis on topic Ekos EAA Road Map

Thanks for doing this. Consider posting this question in the CloudyNights EAA forum. You will get good feedback there. My handle on CN is Relativist feel free to PM me there. I'm a former moderator of the forum and have practiced EAA type observing for a while now.

I'd say set aside planetary/lunar for now.

I don't have an understanding of how INDI is built so it's hard for me to recommend anything in particular. That being said, what would differentiate an EAA tool in my mind is the ability to use inference to improve an image one is viewing. Making an EAA software accessible for the masses hasn't been done yet in my opinion, and if I were to put any efforts it would be with that in mind. Currently software like Sharpcap and Astrotoaster give the best results. You can watch live broadcasts on www.nightskiesnetwork.com to see what some of the best broadcasting EAA practitioners are able to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
11 months 14 hours ago #93024

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by T-Studio on topic Ekos EAA Road Map

good job for today.
I'm glad I didn't forget EAA.

I'd like you to add functions such as live stacking and camera parameter adjustment, but before that, I would like you to work on something.
A review of server driver update rules and a review of Kstar and Ekos UI when adding features.

In my current progress, I have a driver that stops working every time I update.
I would like the compatibility of the driver configuration file to be maintained so that the old rules remain even if the server or driver changes the connection rules so that users can always use the device stably.

Also, when adding EAA, I would like you to research existing EAA environments such as SharpCap and ASIlive and make it easier to use with Kstar and Ekos.

Previously, we proposed a UI that allows all operations to be performed in an independent window, but users have made useful suggestions such as adding a tab function.

I would like to see it developed in a form that is easy to use even for new users.
11 months 6 hours ago #93034

I've been using Padrick's CCDCiel since the driver became unusable due to an update recently.

The connection rules with the driver are clear, and operations can be switched with tabs centering on the LOOP image, making it easy to use and stable.

Dennis, who recently developed AstraLite, is actively developing it, and the live stacking feature is stable.

It might be a good idea to try talking to them.

The key is to make it easy for new users to use.

Currently, there are many users who have trouble finding the process and necessary functions to connect the driver. . .
11 months 6 hours ago #93035

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Anton Sipos on topic Ekos EAA Road Map

I think your road map for EAA is just right, these are the most important features of say a "Minimum Viable Product" (MVP) for basic EAA:

1. Live Stacking
2. Adjustable Histogram (with an autostretch feature)

Live stacking would just be another tab in the EKOS UI. It should be able to start from scratch, or start from an already saved FITS file from another session. The MVP could have just only basic settings - which camera to use, exposure length, gain, number of exposures to length (including unlimited), whether to save sub exposures to disk or throw them away.

After 1. and 2. ship, some additional features to consider for the roadmap:

- Integration with the analyze tab, report HFR for each subframe to analyze tab.
- Optional automatic frame rejection, based on various criteria:
- HFR deviation over some threshold
- Star count deviation over some threshold
- Satellite streak detection
- Optional automated background removal algorithm (helpful in light polluted skies). This would be a very competitive feature if it could be done live, I haven't seen this in other EAA programs, only in Astrophotography programs that run after the EAA session.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Alfred
10 months 4 weeks ago #93072

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Denis on topic Ekos EAA Road Map

The only reason I added Live Stacking to my app is to make shooting lightframes more fun. So Live Stacking in my case is just an addition to the shooting process.
By the end of the shoot, you already have the final image by which you can understand what you got approximately for the shooting session.
I don't think anyone will use my program in EAA mode only
10 months 4 weeks ago #93074

I summarized the requests and made a diagram.

The points are as follows.

・Do not mix with existing functions → It becomes difficult to use if there is a problem or lack of functions.

・Simplify the driver connection procedure.

Add an interface that simply has what you need where you need it. (for EAA)

EAA requires functions similar to those for planetary imaging. (Currently the most lacking part)

If only the EAA part is newly added and the steps to connect are reduced, it will be friendly to new users.

The atmosphere has changed a lot since the last forum, and I myself can't use some of my devices due to this update, so this is my final request.

Hope for better development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
10 months 3 weeks ago #93135
Attachments:

tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-634.html

I wrote the information that I could not write here on my blog. (If you are interested, please read it with the translation function.)
10 months 3 weeks ago #93142

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by Simon on topic Ekos EAA Road Map

My vote goes to finishing INDI LibCamera driver or at least including this one github.com/scriptorron/indi_pylibcamera into indi-3rdparty drivers.
10 months 1 week ago #93429

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Thomas Mason on topic Ekos EAA Road Map

Seems like a fairly straightforward way to implement EAA would be to make stacking an option in the FITS viewer. Instead of automatically showing next frame stack it as long as filter, target etc stays constant or maybe just follow directory which typically changes with filter etc.. Black subtraction is already an option, could add flat correction and stretch, no changes to other parts of ekos.
Last edit: 10 months 5 days ago by Thomas Mason.
10 months 5 days ago #93534

Time to create page: 0.848 seconds