INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 71
Found why we have undefined defNumberVector
<defNumberVector device="" name="" label="" group="" state="Idle" perm="ro" timeout="0" timestamp="2023-03-02T21:42:51"/>
the following were orphaned variables ....
        //defineProperty(&OSPECCurrentIndexNP);
        //defineProperty(&OSPECRWValuesNP);
and 
        //deleteProperty(OSPECCurrentIndexNP.name);
        //deleteProperty(OSPECRWValuesNP.name);

Fix is available on github.com/azwing/indi
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Alain Zwingelstein.
1 year 1 month ago #91066

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

One night testing the last changes and found no particular behavior.
Of course the driver is still very chatty but this is due to the numbers of properties that are polled and updated every seconds.

As a telescope driver OnStep needs only update:
- RA
- DEC
- Status (slewing, tracking, Parking ...)
- PEC
- Alignment
all the rest is quite nice to have from a telescope control point of view.
Now the driver supports a lot of functionalities that do not belong to telescope control (stricly necessary)
- Weather
- Outputs
- Firmware
- Focuser

Latest normally are all individual drivers.
OnStep has chosen a different approach (one may like or not) that is to integrate as much as possible into one hardware.
This is one reason I believe that TeenAstro forked from OnStep (Teenastro team may comment here) and it is good so.
Many people want only Goto for their telescope and they are happy with (I still do not use many of OnStep Features)

Now it arise the question how can we leverage the traffic and verbosity?
- Weather could be polled every minutes since quick significant changes are unlikely or it is really time to run away :-)
- Focuser must be updated as quick as possible
- Outputs could be updated only on user request but not Inputs (we don't have signals for that)
Anny suggestions / thoughts are wellcome
1 year 1 month ago #91077

• Thank you received: 2

Weather might be updated once minute, although imho even once a second shouldn't generate heavy traffic.
Focuser worked fine so far and the temperature compensation is calculated in firmware, so no overhead, I believe.
1 year 1 month ago #91078

• Thank you received: 17
Focuser in "goto" device is not bad idea. It saves USB-port for my OrangePI PC
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Denis.
1 year 1 month ago #91081

Hi,

did anybody have the opportunity to test the latest changes on github.com/azwing/indi?
I tested everything but since I am only using a simulator (basically Comman.ino rewritten to simulate values on a bluepill) I would prefer to have real life feedback before issuing a pull request.
1 year 1 month ago #91126

• Thank you received: 39
I've got a few suggestions on it, which mainly are to use the sendOnSteCommand() over sendOnStepCommandBlind (As most of that returns 0/1) and test for it. That will let us add a check so if it doesn't support it to not do it again, but I'll issue a pull request to you in the next day or two if you want.

I still think that it being chatty isn't an issue except that it often runs into some of the timeouts if something isn't supported, and if we keep doing it, and triggering the timeout, or leaving things in the buffer compared to: If we check it once the timeout happens near enough to startup. We can also gate that with OnStep version check, but I haven't dug into things enough to know when those were added.
1 year 1 month ago #91129

@James,

I agree we, there is no bottleneck is sight. And so it is not really necessary to hurry up on this matter.
My concern was more on having a sort of brainstorming on how to make things more simple and more efficient.
I suppose you are like me, putting our hands in the code after a while is not really easy.
Another idea would be to split the huge "ReadScopeStatus()" into calls to more specific functions.

Thanks
1 year 1 month ago #91132

All instructions how to build INDI I found were unsuccessful, So I simple wait new INDI release
1 year 1 month ago #91153

Hi,

i make a script to setup an environment ready to develope indi.
it installs all the requirements,
clones my git version
creates development directory
and then compiles and install indi.
You first must ensure you are in the sudoer group

When you compile and install indi it replaces all thge files installed by apt but it is easy to restore the installation with apt install --reinstall

then create a script file with your editor
#!/bin/sh
cd ~
mkdir -p Projects
cd Projects

sudo apt install -y git cdbs dkms cmake fxload libev-dev libgps-dev libgsl-dev libraw-dev libusb-dev zlib1g-dev libftdi-dev libgsl0-dev libjpeg-dev libkrb5-dev libnova-dev libtiff-dev libfftw3-dev librtlsdr-dev libcfitsio-dev libgphoto2-dev build-essential libusb-1.0-0-dev libdc1394-22-dev libboost-regex-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libtheora-dev

git clone https://github.com/azwing/indi.git indi
cd indi
./developer-build.bash 
cd build
sudo make install

make it executable with
chmod +x filename

and finally you shoudl be able ti run the script and at the end you would have indi installed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wieslaw Stawiski
1 year 1 month ago #91154

• Thank you received: 4
I have been desiging a camera rotator for OnStep and so far i do not see how to use a OnStep rotator in Ekos.

When i bring up the "optical train" configuration OnStep is not an option for Rotator.

The OnStep driver shows the rotator and moves the rotator.

I thought maybe i need to go to the camera and "Snoop" rotator for OnStep, but that did not help either.

I am testing indoors only right now.

Any ideas on how the rotator is supposed to be used in Ekos???

Thanks!
Chad

1 year 1 month ago #91160
Attachments:

Include ROTATOR_INTERFACE flag into "DRIVER_INFO.DRIVER_INTERFACE" property?
1 year 1 month ago #91161

Hi Chad,

this was my fear ... how to test the rotator without a rotator.
I really need to work on my simulator otherwise I never will be in position to test anything seriously!

Now to come to your question: Why rotator is not shown in Ekos ... I must admin I have no clue.
It is the first time I see the rotator interface in the Control panel (that show my incompetence here :-)
I suppose one must have a AltAz mount to test the rotator and I don't have one and do not even understand how it works in Onstep.
(tracking speed vs sky position ...), difficult to make a simulation.

What I know is we use the "indi rotator interface" in the driver so the rotator property should be available to Ekos ...

I am still trying to test the last modifications with the poor setup I have here before issuing a pull request.
1 year 1 month ago #91165

Time to create page: 1.269 seconds