INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 71
Denis,

any idea on how to do that?
1 year 2 weeks ago #91166

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 17
setDriverInterface(getDriverInterface() | ROTATOR_INTERFACE);
in initProperties function?
But I'm not sure if it's right )
1 year 2 weeks ago #91168

• Thank you received: 4
Hi Alain, i can help you out with some test hardware. I will send you an email so we can work out the details and you can continue to help the OnStep and INDI community.

I use the rotator for astrophotography. It could be used as a de-rotator for alt/az, but that is not my goal right now. I want to use it to frame my pictures they way i want them by being able to rotate the camera.

Also i also tried your script last night to do the beta testing for you. I had to install cmake also. Then i ran into what looked like missing libraries. When i get done with my real job today i will send your more debugging information on doing your beta testing.

Chad
graydigitalarts.com/
1 year 2 weeks ago #91169

I will make a try just skiping Rotator detection so I can see Rotator Tab and check if Ekos sees it.

I made the test.
I see rotator tab in control panel (I forced detection positive)
In Ekos I see nothing about a derotator (setDriverInterface(getDriverInterface() | FOCUSER_INTERFACE | WEATHER_INTERFACE | ROTATOR_INTERFACE);)

How do you see that Ekos is aware of this Rotator?
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Alain Zwingelstein.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91170

Good question... i found the rotor class for INDI. They list popular rotators like Pyxis. Maybe OnStep needs to be added as a possible rotator to INDI?

www.indilib.org/api/classINDI_1_1Rotator.html
1 year 2 weeks ago #91172

Chad,

I found OnStep is included in Rotator Interface

www.indilib.org/api/classINDI_1_1RotatorInterface.html

looking at Focuser:
OnStep is not in the Focuser Class nor in the FocuserInterface ... but recogniosed as Focuser by Ekos

Maybe the doc is outadted ...

I generated the doc locally and see what I get
1 year 2 weeks ago #91175
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 39
OnStep will never be in Focuser or Rotator, but in FoucserInteface, WeatherInterface, etc, as all of the non interfaces inherit the base classes and Interface classes. The exception is Telescope. (Though OnStepX doesn't always technically have that.) OnStep, I think, has the most Interface classes of all INDI drivers. And unfortunately, is also kind of a pain about multiple interfaces. (See the whole multiple focuser stuff that works but yeah.)

The rotator is gated by version, so versions 1,2,3 don't work. (3 may be made to work, but lacks commands to map it well, as I recall. There's not a derotator interface in INDI. It also detects it on startup, So, without looking much see if :rG# returns something if you don't see the focuser. That's so that it doesn't recheck it (and have to timeout) if not present. (Similar to mentioned above.)

Unfortunately the INDI interfaces doesn't map well to OnStep in a number of cases. (OnStep isn't very traditional in how it works, which makes it great but also sometimes a pain. Ex multiple focusers)

I used simulated hardware on a mega (with nothing connected) for most of my testing.

Alain, sorry I've been delayed on that pull request. I plan to work on it this morning. I'll look at the diffuser not showing up
1 year 2 weeks ago #91178

James,
Thanks for the precision and no problem for the delay we all have many pots on the fire :-)
1 year 2 weeks ago #91179

I am 99% sure i have your code loaded Alain and i have been testing the new Smart Hard Controller 2+ that can have the BME280 weather sensor instead of on the OnStep PCB.

The smart hand controller sends the weather data to OnStep with LX200 commands.

I see temperature numbers in the Focuser tab in Ekos.

Chad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alain Zwingelstein
1 year 2 weeks ago #91217
Attachments:

Thank you chad,
So I could send a pull request to include the stuff into Official Indi
I didn't know this SHC with BME280. I'll have a look.

Seems interesting the new pcb. But the integration of the bme280 into the hand controller seems strange to me because for sure the Temperature will be wrong since each time you hold the hand controller in your hands the temperature will be false.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91223

Well yeah, the problem with the BME280 on the OnStep computer is the drivers that power the stepper motors are always warm.

So putting it on the hand controller is an option that may have better temperature data. Depends on how the user wires all of this up.

This is Howard's latest PCB for the SHC. The BME280 integration we are just starting to test.

Chad
1 year 2 weeks ago #91224

Yeas, I had the same fear for mine so by the end I did mount it at the end of a shielded cable in a little tube and I can located near the mount where T° is more representative.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91225

Time to create page: 1.212 seconds