INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 71
As far as I know, there is only one project that has forked from OnStep and reached a high level of usability, it is "TeenAstro".
Maybe some other people did something in this way but I never heard about.
11 months 6 days ago #92762

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
INDI has plenty of focuser/rotator support.

A full list is here (two pages).

www.indilib.org/focusers.html

MyFocuser Pro is open source and open hardware.

Don't know if it has rotator support or not. Check the links in the page.
11 months 6 days ago #92767

@ Khalid,
You're right Khalid, and in the list we can find TeenAstroFocuser which probabbly is what "illial" is searching for.

@ illial,
give a try to TeenAstroFocuser and verify it is what you are looking for. If yes please report here.
Thanks
11 months 6 days ago #92769

• Thank you received: 0
I didn't find it can be used with the INDI driver in their documentation. Don't want to build another device that will now work for me.
11 months 6 days ago #92771

I don't undersatnd your concern.
There is nothing to build.
Run Kstars
Just go to [tools][Devices][Device Manager][Focusers][TeenAstroFocuser] and start the Service
you now should be able to connect to OnStep and use the Focuser.
Last edit: 11 months 6 days ago by Alain Zwingelstein.
11 months 6 days ago #92772

It doesn't connect, but it connects well with lx200 onstep
11 months 6 days ago #92774
Attachments:

Sad, it could have been a quick solution to your problem.
Sorry
11 months 6 days ago #92775

Hi,

I had a deeper look into the problem of multiple focusers and stumbled upon some things I wanted to clarify before I continue.

One problem I see, when using FocuserInterface is, that it is impossible to inherit it multiple times. Because of that, it is necessary to have multiple BaseDevices which implement the FocuserInterface. I assume it would be better to use the INDI::Focuser class as a base for the Onstep Focuser. I also saw that approach in the focuslynx driver .
Unfortunately, this only works flawlessly for statically created drivers. Unfortunately, the diver tabs do not get updated when I create a new Focuser dynamically. It requires a reconnect to the indiserver within Ekos. But maybe I am still missing something.
You can see this in my basic implementation .
Furthermore the dependency on Lx200Generic restricts the implementation of a shared lx200 parser class. That's why the onstep_focuser needs access to the file descriptor PortFD and implements its own lx200 parser.
I attached a drawing to illustrate the new class hierarchy. (File: "Blank diagram Focuser Update.png")

This is quite a hacky approach and will result in some duplicated code. As I can see that there is a discussion about restructuring the driver I also made a drawing of a in my opinion better approach. (File: "Blank diagram New Structure.png") But this would mean dropping the dependency on lx200generic and writing some onstep protocol parser, that can be shared between drivers.
As a bonus, it would be also possible to make just a bare rotator driver.

Questions:

1. how to trigger a driver reload for dynamically created based devices in the indiserver and Ekos?
2. is it possible to drop the dependency on Lx200generic?
3. are there problems with concurrency when reading and writing to PortFD unprotected?
4. what do you think about the hacky approach and a complete restructuring of the driver?

regards Alex
11 months 5 days ago #92788
Attachments:

1. how to trigger a driver reload for dynamically created based devices in the indiserver and Ekos?
I did not find any way to do that in an unattended way nut via button ... not nice
Needs a complete rewrite from scratch and this is exactly what TeenAstro did
3. are there problems with concurrency when reading and writing to PortFD unprotected?
What do you mean by unprotected?
4. what do you think about the hacky approach and a complete restructuring of the driver?
same as for 2, rewrite all from scratch
11 months 5 days ago #92789

Looks like I found a way to use lx200 onstep driver as a focuser by creating a custom driver and reassigning the type. But have to solve other things.
1. The rotator can be found but cannot be assigned to my optical train.
2. The Wheather tab doesn't show any info (I use bme280).
3. Focuser works weirdly. It moves the motor only when pressing the up arrow button for the first time (the next press of the button does nothing). Pushing the down arrow button occurs an error every time (doesn't depend on focuser position).
All these things work in windows via ascom driver, so the device is working properly.
11 months 5 days ago #92790
Attachments:

Alain: I did not find any way to do that in an unattended way nut via button ... not nice
Alex: ok, I will have a look if I find a way. The other solution would be to create all drivers static and disable them, if they are not needed.
Alain: Needs a complete rewrite from scratch and this is exactly what TeenAstro did.
Alex: First look does not seem to be that big of a deal. LX200Telescope is just 1600 lines of code compared to the onstep driver with around 5000 lines. And as the onstep driver is overwriting some functionality of the LX200Telescope driver this might be even less. But yes the change is still quite substantial. Thats why I am asking if this would be accepted or if a smaller change is preferred.
Alain: What do you mean by unprotected?
Alex: Never mind, I found the lx200CommsLock mutex.
Alain: same as for 2, rewrite all from scratch
Alex: Ok, I assume the smaller change is preffered.

I will continue working on the "smaller change" solution. Thank you for your help!

regards
Alex
11 months 5 days ago #92796

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

I have an issue with focuser OnStep driver - it doesn't show telescope temperature.
Some image reference below...

I would appreciate some help in here.

Thanks and regards,
W
11 months 1 hour ago #92916
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.982 seconds