Major INDI Library release v1.9.0 bring significant internal changes championed by @pawel-soja to modernize core INDI Library drivers and clients. New drivers for DeepSkyDad Flat Panel & Pegasus devices plus further improvements to PCM8 drivers.
Which OnStep version does the OnStep driver expect, or was developed against? I assume features, behavior and capabilities can vary. Latest release is 3.16. When I experimented with OnStep focuser support, I was told by Howard, that master would be safe currently (end 2020). Therefor my current version is 4.17j.
Anything you driver developers can recommend? Better stick with Release?
The recommended version of OnStep itself is the
, which is now at 4.23.
Although it is labeled beta, it is pretty stable.
The master version is 5.x, but it will be phased out when Howard's new rewrite (OnStepX) is done in a few months perhaps.
You can use 3.x, 4.x or 5.x with KStars/Ekos/INDI that is in Jassem's PPA.
That is because the API itself has not changed significantly. A few commands were added (e.g. Spiral Search), but if an OnStep client does not issue that command, then nothing happens anyway.
I had a frustrating evening yesterday when I wanted to switch my mount from Equatorial to AltAz und therefore needed to recompile OnStep. It moved in unexplainable ways and also parked in different positions. At some point I switched to the latest Release and it began to move reasonable again. But after a "move to home" it got stuck. An "unpark" was not successful. "Tracking enable" however was successful. Later I figured out that it works when I set a park position. OnStep's internal state handling is sometimes a bit inconsistent. After some more issues (timezone was 1h off) I finally got it working.
OK, this was all unrelated to INDI, as I reconfigured my mount to AltAz for visual observation and I am using a Basic Handcontroller and the OnStep App for controlling the mount. However I used INDI inbetween when I was trying to figure out what was going wrong.
Sorry for venting my frustration with OnStep. Let's hope Howard makes the Beta a final stable release before putting all his energy into OnStepX.
OnStepX is ongoing, and the beta is actually very stable. Howard is just being conservative and want to get more community testing before he brands that as stable.
I don't use an Alt-Az mount, so can't tell what went wrong.
But you should ask these questions in the group, where there are some Alt-Az users who may help.
Before you do this though, try to test the same sequence indoors during the day.
Once you have a reproducible sequence, the problem becomes obvious to others, and therefore easier to solve.
I have a problem with the Weather Feature:
I use a real meteo station "Weather Radio" and the Indi watchdog.
The problem is that LX200 OnStep overrides the weather setting on the watchdog and i can't change it.
Is it possible to turn off the weather feature on the LX200 OnStep driver ?
It works well with CCDCiel but not with Kstars ...
With CCDCiel, I can change the Weather driver on Watchdog.
With Kstars I cannot and if I change to CCDCiel, Kstars changes new driver for LX200 OnStep.
Just as a heads up, I have some changes in my repository (master branch) which I haven't yet pushed to libindi.
- Weather support for setting temperature/humidity/pressure, values will be overridden in OnStep by any sensor values.
- Ability to swap primary focuser. (This will change which one is listed in the focuser lists, and supports future focusers based on OnStepX plans)
- High precision on location, and not overridding GPS even when marked for Mount > KStars.
- Added Rotator & De-Rotator Support
- TMC_SPI status reported (RAW) on the Status Tab. (ST = Standstill, Ox = open load A/B, Gx = grounded A/B, OT = Overtemp Shutdown, PW = Overtemp Prewarning)
The 3rd one, involved some changes to lx200 adding a flag, thinking that TeenAstro could use it as well, but apparently the slightly different high precision commands were added after the fork. As such, I am undecided on leaving it as is, or pulling that and doing a purely OnStep version (leaving the base lx200 alone.)
If people can test, especially people with de-rotators, I'd appreciate it.
Copying my old todo:
1. Changing the MaxRate replacement (degrees per sec)
Question on this: Would people prefer a settable 50-200%, as Degrees per sec, or the 50,75, 100, 150, 200%?
2. Intervolometer support
(Might be a priority, simply because I have some D5100s, and if I could trigger them as well as the main one in Ekos, that'd be handy until the Ekos/Kstars Imaging train gets done.)
3. Focuser Changes
4. Dew heater 5. Weather support. (Read BME280/etc)
6. Tangent arm support (Plate solve then adjust?)
7. Check backlash values (Changed to allowed to 3600)
8. DC Focuser support (Not sure if that works already or not?) Might need someone who has one to help with this. 9. TMC_SPI reporting support. (I got one for testing, and finally went to put it in on this cloudy night. I unfortunately missed the: You have to have both axis be SPI if one is, so this will be working at some point, but when is a big question. Oops.)
10. Equivalent of MoveAxis support to allow for following satellites. (Kstars issue more likely than OnStep directly, as the custom rates are added in, but Kstars doesn't have a way to send the rates/information, AFAIK)
11. PEC Import/Export