INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 1

Hi Khalid,
I saw that it's supposed to work here: indilib.org/forum/development/1406-drive...html?start=480#34461
Maybe I will try setting the limit in Onstep to be the same in Kstars and try again :)
4 years 10 months ago #39306

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31

I forgot (or never saw) this feature.

If that is the case, then it should work. Maybe it is never made it to the kstars-bleeding (which is from Jasem's PPA)?

In any case, let us know what ends up working for you.
4 years 10 months ago #39316

Hmm, I think I see the problem...
There is not a "Meridian Flip Now" button in the INDI driver, like the Onstep APP or Sky Planetarium has.
So, maybe the driver does not support the "forced" meridian flip command as of yet?

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to "avoid" imaging across the meridian, as the interesting targets (M20 et al) do pass it during the course of the night (unless I am really careful in scheduling their capture).
4 years 10 months ago #39332

• Thank you received: 39
Unfortunately, there's not really a good way to have that done, the best way is the automatic one, where Ekos will issue a goto while imaging. (There's no request meridian flip function, it's literally a goto)

Set it to autoflip, no stop at home. Set the preferred side to east.

I can see about adding in a manual :MN# (Which does not guarantee a flip, you also have to set the limits right.) (Literally in OnStep's code, (unless changed) all it does is assume preferred east and issue a goto)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wong Sy Ming
4 years 10 months ago #39336

Hi!
Thanks for the information!
Would you be able to share your configuration (Onstep limits and Ekos settings for "flip after..." so I can test it on my own setup before bringing it out under the stars? I'd like to get a feel for how it works.
4 years 10 months ago #39337

• Thank you received: 22
Thought I'd mention this just because I thought it was neat when someone shared the tip with me... When I'm imaging across the meridian, pretty much always due to trees, I turn off all the auto flips and set the mount to east facing west, then "back" it over to east to pick up the high target, watching for mount clearance. That way I can track all night and don't have to reset everything when it flips.
4 years 10 months ago #39340

I got this working, thanks!
My settings for testing:

Onstep preferred pier side: East, Autoflips ON, no pause at Home
Onstep meridian limits : 12 minutes (I suspect, as long as this value is more than that in Ekos, it should be fine. Just make sure Onstep doesn't flip before Ekos does)
Ekos "Flip if HA >" : 0.1h (6 minutes. May be more in practice)

The mount flips as desired when the countdown timer in Ekos reaches 0 :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Wong Sy Ming.
4 years 10 months ago #39353

• Thank you received: 31

So, all that is needed is to have the Ekos setting less than OnStep's setting?
4 years 10 months ago #39356

• Thank you received: 39
Pretty much as well as pier side to east or preferred (not west)

OnStep has as I recall 3 settings that are important:
Minutes? past meridian East = how far east to move to east if a goto is done (= Greater than Ekos setting)
Same West, either autoflip or stop tracking (=Whatever, this should Not be the trigger)
Autoflip (=on)
Preferred meridian side (=e)
stop at polar home (=off)

Ok, 5
We want to be in the range of E > ekos > W limit
As long as ekos' goto triggers the flip, we are good. (I think it has been corrected, but a while back it wouldn't wait for the flip to be done.)
4 years 10 months ago #39358

Yes, as well as "Preferred Side of Pier" being "East" instead of "Best (default)". I think this is the important step, because Ekos will simply send a Goto to the same coordinates, which, since Onstep is on the West side of the pier (ie not preferred) it will then set itself on the "preferred" side (at least that is my understanding). If left at "Best", it may not do anything if it determines that the current side of the pier is "reachable".
4 years 10 months ago #39364

Ekos shows "Waiting for meridian flip" in the Mount tab while the mount is slewing, so I take it that it works now..
4 years 10 months ago #39365

I note that the Onstep driver sets the mount to guide at 1X sidereal, is there any way to change this behaviour? E.g. setting it to 0.5X?
4 years 10 months ago #39433

Time to create page: 1.552 seconds