INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 31

There is a relatively new feature in OnStep, and it is undocumented. It allows you to change the number of maximum align stars. To do this, you need to add this in your config file:

#define MAX_NUM_ALIGN_STARS '9'

MaxPCB already supports 9, so this is mainly for my STM32 which by default has a maximum of 6 stars only.

When I add this, and then from INDI issue an align for more than 6 stars, you will see things go wrong, and the result of :A?# not being what you expect 919, but something else.

As I said, I just start the align from the Android App.

Open the web page, go to WiFi, enter your password (or see the Wiki on how to reset it from the IDE).
Then enter your WiFi network's SSID and password, and check Station Mode. Uncheck Access-Point mode.

Doing this makes OnStep connect to your home network if it finds it, but if it cannot connect, it will fallback automatically to the Acess Point mode (i.e. ONSTEP). Very convenient, and allows me to control the mount from inside using the phone.
4 years 8 months ago #40723

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks for all the fixes ...

The way I do it is:

1. Start an align 3 (or more) stars

2. For each star, right click and slew, then do a Capture and Solve with Sync as the action

3. Now OnStep calculates the offset in Azimuth and Altitude, and uses that for go tos

4. Slew to a star that is due north (or south in the southern hemisphere) and on the same side of the meridian. I used Kocab/Kochab which happens to be above Polaris these days, and not obstructed by the trees and houses. I did use Cassiopeia before.

5. Do a Capture and Solve on it, but with Slew to Target as the action

6. OnStep will try until the star is perfectly centered, with only 10 arc second error (in my case)

7. I then issue the :MP from a Python program over WiFi. OnStep then moves to where the star should be without the alt/az corrections

8. Using only the Alt and Az knobs, center the star the best you can

9. The program then does a Return Home

10. Another 3 or more star align is needed

So, it can be done in two ways:

a. A button that issues an :MP
b. A walk through that includes the manual steps and instructions into account.

My vote is on simple, so you can proceed with (a) above. On the page, there can be text describing the steps needed before (n-star align, then Slew to Target) and after (using only alt/az knobs center the star, then Return home and repeat the align), but nothing else from a programming point of view.

KISS: Keep it Simple ...

That would be handy and very dangerous too.

Here is another idea: can we connect to OnStep over WiFi? I know it can be done from my Python program, using the IP address and 9999 port. Can INDI do the same? If so, then it is one less cable (provided the WiFi is reliable).
4 years 8 months ago #40724

• Thank you received: 39
That's probably fixed by the other things I did. Alignment either :A+# or :Ax# returns a code which wasn't being checked, then #A?# was being called right after which is good for producing the 0616 returns or similar. So probably can mark that as ALREADY_FIXED. (I hope!)

Yeah, I've done that with the wifi, but no luck it always goes back to acting as an AP. I seem to have annoying luck with esp8266s. (And esp32s work just fine, so maybe it's the router or something.)
4 years 8 months ago #40725

For what its worth ... I have two WeMos D1 Minis on two separate STM32 PCBs, and they both work flawlessly.
4 years 8 months ago #40726

Alright, right as I was trying to name it, Howard did.

I have added it to the align tab, with a pull request to azwing to push upstream. (Sorry about all of them.) Who merged it.

Interface is two buttons, button 1 prints this to INFO.
2019-07-04T05:19:20: [INFO] Optional: Start a new alignment.
2019-07-04T05:19:20: [INFO] Step 4: Using the mount's Alt and Az screws manually recenter the star. (Video mode if your camera supports it will be helpful.)
2019-07-04T05:19:20: [INFO] Step 3: Press Refine Polar Alignment.
2019-07-04T05:19:20: [INFO] Step 2: Make sure it is centered.
2019-07-04T05:19:20: [INFO] Step 1: Goto a bright star between 50 and 80 degrees N/S from the pole. Preferably on the Meridian.

Button two issues the :MP# command.

Any suggested wording changes?

Fun thing printing right now is a end of counterweight vixen holder based on seeing a picture and going... that looks like something fun: www.hbastro.com/Telescopes/DualAstroGraphProject.html ;)
4 years 8 months ago #40746

The steps are displayed in reverse order. That confused me for a few minutes.

As for wording, the Android app is constrained in screen space, but we can expand the text a bit:

Step 5: Optional: Repeat the alignment.
Step 4: Using the mount's Alt and Az screws, manually recenter the star. Use the camera's LCD and grid, if available.
Step 4: Press the Refine Polar Alignment button.
Step 3: Center the star perfectly. You can use Plate Solving and Slew To Target for this.
Step 2: Goto a bright star due north, or due south, but having a Declination of more than 50 and less than 80 degrees. Preferably near the Meridian.
Step 1: Start and alignment on 3 or more stars.

If we are using the info area, then for the rest of the alignment, we should use that too. Or, change the new Refine PA to use the scheme that is already in use on the Align tab (all text shown). Point is: consistency of the UI. I don't have a specific preference, but the info area tends to scroll and only 3 lines show up at most on my older astro laptop.
4 years 8 months ago #40749

Yeah it's kind of a quick hack, one of the problems is the limited space, and to be honest, the existing Align items are kind of a hack that I'm not super happy with. Unfortunately, there's not anything like a multi-line text display except that sort of multi-line hack used for Align. (Or at least I'm not aware of it, and I just went through and double checked there weren't parameters in the Text parameter. :( )

I'd love comments on how people would suggest it be useful:

Option 1:
As is for MP, in the info box. Advantage, aside from changing text, it's done!
Option 2:
Repurpose the same sort that's already with the Align module, name it explicitly instructions, and add a button to switch instructions. (Manual Align, Sync Align or MP)
Disadvantage instructions may be out of order.
Advantage: Anyone not looking at the info box can see instructions.
Option 3:
Use info for a more complete instructions and do a basic instruction. (Kinda like step 2)
Advantage, we can be more verbose in INFO, but still have basic info available for everyone.
Option 4:
(Possible with Option 1): Just link a page with instructions.
Advantage: Easy to update
Disadvantage: Offline or constrained data usage.

Other thoughts, suggestions of options?
4 years 8 months ago #40785

Pushed to Azwing: Extended goto error codes.

Given that there were issues with sync and movement, I was having issues that showed as under horizon limit, while at zenith. I finally spent the time to check over everything like timezones and such, and finally realized the :MS# command wasn't returning 3 so I modified what was needed for it to show. (Which touched the other lx200telescope and lx200driver, but after looking all of them over, they will just show what they did before if anything is out of the 0,1,2 range as before.)

So for example, before tracking was enabled, I'd get a return of 3 (Controller in standby), which got squashed in the Slew function, and read back as Object below Horizon. Anything you get back will be tagged with OnStep slewError: _____ and should be correct. (Can't believe it took me that long to figure out! I implemented the slewError function, and it took that giving me the same error to figure out it was squashing it since it would print RES <3> right before it. Argh. Any time you are feeling smart, try programming and debugging. ;) )

Hopefully, that will help anyone having any goto errors to report it better, once it's merged upstream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alain Zwingelstein
4 years 8 months ago #40870

• Thank you received: 71
James,

thanks a lot for all your efforts.
I am really a bit in a bad situation form an internet connection point of viw.
They pulled the Optical Fiber into my Village and by doing it destroyed the existing copper lines.
Now I have neither ADSL not Optical Fiber but Random Slow DSL ...
After investigation they told me there is nothing thay can (want) do ...
I have to wait until september where eventually I can migrate to Fiber and have again a reliable Internet.
Sorry if my reaction is a bit slow this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: james_lan
4 years 8 months ago #40879

You worry about being 'slow' when everything I see has been within a day or two. :lol:

Seriously, thanks for dealing with that, and especially pushing it up to master, because git is both wonderful, and evil. (I hope you aren't thinking that my comment about pushed to you is any implication of anything other than an explanation, or intended as any sort of complaint what so ever. It's not.) I really hope your internet gets fixed soon, because that is really annoying.

As another thing that I'm just pushing up: Adding Sync error messages. Hopefully this will help ID the problem that shows up on the OnStep Mailing list. Vs the silent fails currently.

If you want, I can see about a pull request for merging OnStep to libindi/master as I see there seems to have been some confusion with the other pull request, if that would be helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells
4 years 8 months ago #40886

James,

The internet problem is anoying and only a "no chance".

The French government started a plan to connect 100% of the territory with Optical Fiber within 2020, all payed by Goverment, European Union ... so by the citizen.
So far so good, the Fiber arrived in my village.
The problem starts when it comes to commercialization.
This Network is opened for any internet provider in two manners:
A - The internet provider uses the complete network infrastructure including active devices, costs a bit more but zéro investment
B- The internet provider uses only the Fiber, and he provides it's own active devices, more investment but they manage themselves the network (only use the physical Fiber)

This makes that all little internet providers already offer their services on the Fiber but all are oriented Multimedia and relative expensive
and the Big provider that have better offers (example Internt Only ,... )take a bit more time util they install their hardware.

I am in the second case where my provider will start only in september and I definitively want to stay with my provider for the following rteasons:
- Fixed IPV4 full stack (no shared ports)
- Fixed IPV6/64
- Reverse DNS
- VPN support
- Free Phone for most countries and free Mobile phone for main countries (My daughter lives in Hong Kong :-)

And all wih a cost that is one of the cheapest ...
For all these reasons I prefer to stay patient

=====================
Concerning you push I must just tahnk you very much for all your efforts.
I will merge to my master but prefer to wait a bit before pushing to main Master.

Thanks again
4 years 8 months ago #40897

James,

The internet problem is anoying and only a "no chance".

The French government started a plan to connect 100% of the territory with Optical Fiber within 2020, all payed by Goverment, European Union ... so by the citizen.
So far so good, the Fiber arrived in my village.
The problem starts when it comes to commercialization.
This Network is opened for any internet provider in two manners:
A - The internet provider uses the complete network infrastructure including active devices, costs a bit more but zéro investment
B- The internet provider uses only the Fiber, and he provides it's own active devices, more investment but they manage themselves the network (only use the physical Fiber)

This makes that all little internet providers already offer their services on the Fiber but all are oriented Multimedia and relative expensive
and the Big provider that have better offers (example Internt Only ,... )take a bit more time util they install their hardware.

I am in the second case where my provider will start only in september and I definitively want to stay with my provider for the following rteasons:
- Fixed IPV4 full stack (no shared ports)
- Fixed IPV6/64
- Reverse DNS
- VPN support
- Free Phone for most countries and free Mobile phone for main countries (My daughter lives in Hong Kong :-)

And all wih a cost that is one of the cheapest ...
For all these reasons I prefer to stay patient

=====================
Concerning you push I must just tahnk you very much for all your efforts.
I will merge to my master but prefer to wait a bit before pushing to main Master.

Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells
4 years 8 months ago #40898

Time to create page: 0.904 seconds