So after looking at this a lot more, and thinking about some things. The problem mainly is the timeout, but even setting it longer will crash things sometimes for a few reasons. (Yay wireless, also *#$%* ISPs.)
After that happens, often the connection does get the response. Unfortunately, tcflush doesn't work for that, nor do a few other things. So what was happening was say I had :A?# (returns ABC (A= max stars, B=Current Star, C=#stars in alignment, or B/C is flipped,) followed by :GU# (WHich is the nPada/250 looking string that's status info) and then :GR# So you'd get a timeout on A?, so :GU# would get back 600#, and :GR# would get nPada/250, and if input verification and on down the line. (Occasionally something would help it.) I didn't have the input verification needed for every function, so when it hit those it could crash. When I did add the input verification, I still had a problem: Everything was shifted. So while it wouldn't crash, you'd get endless error messages.
Unfortunately after playing with tcflush and others which didn't work, Eventually, I just decided to read it with a very short timeout (1ms (lower it? since it should be in the buffer already?)) until the buffer was cleared. Which seems kinda inelegant, but works. I also introduced getCommandDoubleResponse (no corresponding function in lx200drivers), which is same calling as the SingleCharErrorLongResponse, with a double added. This has the clear out portion, and after testing for a while (and quite large logfiles!) I can't reproduce the continuous shift or crashes. In the past I could after some period of time, be it 5 minutes, or 2 hours, it'd eventually have the issue.) It doesn't clean up the code much at all over doing it in the LongResponse, but does setup nicer for checksummed commands/resend. (I think.)
I will add the buffer clearing to others, and I do wonder about adding it to the lx200driver calls, because they also operate over the network. I don't have another lx200 to test, but I suspect if someone hooked up an esp8266 in it's original 'dumb' serial port <-> wifi intention, that might be seen.
Occasional value is incorrect (due to not all functions flushing it, This should mostly be strings, like :GU#, or similar, I will be adding flushes to reduce/eliminate this)
INFO/ERROR messages only when something makes it past that buffer flush, so there should be only 1 for any given message.
Lots of error messages on disconnection (need to work on this.)
This is on the network-timeouts branch so far. Please test and let me know if there are any crashes or problems on wifi (or serial).