INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 22
I went around the parking/unpark problem with my phone and got the weird sync error when I went inside[kstars on pc, indiserver on rpi3 at mount]. restarting everything but the mount seems to have fixed that.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Ray Wells.
6 years 1 month ago #22883

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seriously not the place to report this but since i'm outnabout...Kstars crashes with segfault error 4 in libqt5Qml... on two computers every other time I try to connect. It's a bit annoying and time consuming.
6 years 1 month ago #22885

• Thank you received: 71
Hi,

What version of Kstars do you use, which Indid version:
I build kstar / Indi daily which works for the time beeing.
I have some issues of performance with Kstars since version 2.9.2 maybe because of Qt version is lower on my PC

KStars
Version 2.9.2
KDE Frameworks 5.37.0
Qt 5.9.2 (construit sur 5.9.1)
Le système de fenêtres xcb

Indi
018-02-03T21:00:21: startup: indiserver -vvv
Usage: indiserver [options] driver [driver ...]
Purpose: server for local and remote INDI drivers
INDI Library: 1.6.3
Code $Rev$. Protocol 1.7.

=========================== Driver Progress on Parking , upodated on Git
Now I can read / Write the default values from the "~/.indi/ParkData.xml concerning RA/DEC Parkdata in the "Site Management"
The "Park Options" Buttons "Current" "Default" "Write Data" do what they have to do
Not yet sync with OnStep ... this is the next step.

I was right when I said I was wrong :-) ..... Indi doc reading was a good idea!
Will not stop until this is solved ... most probably I will discover how to solve other issues too :-)
6 years 1 month ago #22922

• Thank you received: 223
I'm not up to speed with the all OnStep thing, would someone tell me please if it could be used to drive this ?

instead of using the additional stepper drivers?
6 years 1 month ago #22923
Attachments:

That's a pretty beefy motor there. You will need an Arduino controller for Onstep to use to control that. A Teensy is very popular now but the Arduino Mega is also a good choice and what I'm using. Much more info on the project can be found at Howard Dutton's website
stellarjourney.com/index.php?r=site/equipment_onstep

You might want to consider some of the stepper hardware in the info he has there as not all stepper controllers will accept the same types of commands, or you may need to rewrite sections of code to match it. I.E dir and step vs. dir step micro step setup, and enable/sleep lines may be used depending on driver type. I'm using DRV8825 drivers.
Good luck with your project! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Ray Wells. Reason: what is it with indi forums creepy smileys!?
6 years 1 month ago #22929

This is a Hybrid Closed loop Stepper Servo driver (the blue box) and yes a beefy servo. I can't say much about this project yet as it's top secret for the moment.
The doc for the blue box is www.cnc-box.ru/sites/default/files/HBS86d_0.pdf
I'll do more research on it, but I think the blue box get inputs from whatever.
6 years 1 month ago #22931

It looks like the OnStep would work with that type of stepper driver, I've asked on their forum page .
But after reading more into this OnStep, it looks like the MiniPCB might actually do the trick nicely for my project.

I shall keep a close eye on the OnStep indi driver, I believe this topic should be moved out of the 'Wish List' and moved into the 'Mount' section.
6 years 1 month ago #22954

Hi,

Made some changes to:
- Parking, Added Button for Current, Default and Save parameters => Parkdata.xml
- Retrieving all Parameters from Pardat.xml at startup
- Status Management
- OnStep Status
and added Buttons for Refractoring manamement in "Motion Tab"

Still have some issues with Parking since from time to time I receive a "Parking Failed" fro OnStep, but this alo happens with Android and Terminal
Workarround for the time beeing is to do:
1) 1 Star Aligment
2) Slew / Track to a Bright Star
3) Make corrections is needed
4) Sync
Then everything (So far I could check) works fine.

All updated on Github
6 years 1 month ago #22956

@Gonzothegreat: Yeah it's a nice system and that hookup certainly looks like it would be easily interfaced to OnStep's driver outputs without needing much editing. OnStep also allows use of PEC - periodic error correction which is a "closed loop" feedback of sorts using an external encoder on the drivetrain for feedback but the servolike action of those controller/stepper sets is a nice function as it will retry without prompting if a step is missed. You could drive a car with those nema23's I bet it's gong to be something when you get it running. :)

@Azwing, I'll update and try it out next day or two. It's Icing at the moment here in Virginia and I'm taking downtime from all projects for the moment(in theory). I have some changes to push but I've not tried to do that and have to take the time to figure it out. I got the speeds working the other night. It turned out to be a simple matter in the end. Turns out telescopecapabilites does not in fact import from lx200generic and adding them to Onstep enabled the system. There is also a block of commented out code in lx200generic that relabels the controls in the pad but I kind of like the 1x 2x 3x 4x it has without the names as it's more compact and direct.
I wanted to sort out just which one got it running but I think I'll just paste the changes here and you can test from there. Mostly just added these flags:
SetTelescopeCapability(TELESCOPE_CAN_PARK | TELESCOPE_CAN_SYNC | TELESCOPE_CAN_GOTO | TELESCOPE_CAN_ABORT |TELESCOPE_HAS_PEC | TELESCOPE_HAS_PIER_SIDE | TELESCOPE_HAS_TIME | TELESCOPE_HAS_LOCATION | TELESCOPE_CAN_CONTROL_TRACK | TELESCOPE_HAS_TRACK_MODE,4);
And things stared working. I saw on bad effects from this large block so you might be able to just paste as is unless you encounter trouble.
The the one that adds the names is in generic, I'll leave it up to you to add or not whichever you like better. Personally I like it without as above. I pasted it in the motion tab section.
IUFillSwitch(&SlewRateS[SLEW_GUIDE], "SLEW_GUIDE", "Guide", ISS_OFF);
IUFillSwitch(&SlewRateS[SLEW_CENTERING], "SLEW_CENTERING", "Centering", ISS_OFF);
IUFillSwitch(&SlewRateS[SLEW_FIND], "SLEW_FIND", "Find", ISS_OFF);
IUFillSwitch(&SlewRateS[SLEW_MAX], "SLEW_MAX", "Max", ISS_ON);
IUFillSwitchVector(&SlewRateSP, SlewRateS, 4, getDeviceName(), "TELESCOPE_SLEW_RATE", "Slew Rate", MOTION_TAB, IP_RW, ISR_1OFMANY, 0, IPS_IDLE);

Hope this helps. one day I'll try to sort out proper git stuff. :P
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Ray Wells.
6 years 1 month ago #22957

I find the OnSTep overall documentation to be lacking, unless I'm not looking in the right place.
Been on their wiki, can't find a page for wiring diagram as an example.

My project design depends on the type of motor I'll get.
I do not wish to have to change the code really. I might get the MiniPcb and the standard drivers.

@Blueshawk you mentioned PEC and encoders. Would you have a link as to which one to use for OnStep to see if I can incorporate it in my design?
6 years 1 month ago #22959

Hi,
@Blueshawk
Great, as usual it took me some time to fully understand your advice ... I speak German and French but my English is really basic :unsure:

Virginia, nice! I am in Alsace (Eat of France near German Border). We have snow by the end, winter is really crap this year, too hot, cloudy and rainy!

I just tested this one, just adding the '4' in my code like hereunder
SetTelescopeCapability(GetTelescopeCapability() | TELESCOPE_CAN_CONTROL_TRACK | TELESCOPE_HAS_PEC | TELESCOPE_HAS_PIER_SIDE | TELESCOPE_HAS_TRACK_RATE, 4 );
I then have the 1x, 2X, 3x, 4x

after that I checked with your implementation of the switches with the text Labels.
Both work great, but as you I prefer the short version 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X, Taste and Colors :)

Finally go for the short version 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X, git will be update in next commit.

Thanks for the tip!

@Gonzothegreat
I still consider this driver at not really operational. May be at release could be moved, why not!
6 years 1 month ago #22960

Hi Gonzothegreat,

have a look on Easy Eda, Tu trouveras to bonheur
easyeda.com/hdutton/OnStepMaxPCB-38b1d02...474997e19d99033d3f9e
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
6 years 1 month ago #22961

Time to create page: 0.711 seconds