INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos crash on Startup on MacOs High Sierra

• Thank you received: 809
Do you have KStars logs to see exactly what was going on?

If you use the other Mac, does it do the same thing?
6 years 1 month ago #23614

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19

I will starts test when i have more time. I‘ll install it new again and activate the logs. Maybe that will help. In the meantime i will use the macbook snd see if the problem occurs there too.

One idea i have is that maybe the setup with a second monitor could be the problem...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 1 month ago #23615

I don't know, but I am currently using a big monitor connected via USB C with kstars right now. But it is not set to extend the displays, my laptop is closed and its showing the whole display.
6 years 1 month ago #23616

• Thank you received: 0
I have experienced an identical problem. I was getting familiar with Ekos on 1st March - 2nd March Stars crashed on startup. I found this discussion and followed the suggestions and deleted files from my (user) application support and preference folders. When I tried to start Kstars I did not get the dialogue and it crashed when it was on "URLs". I have found an unsatisfactory workaround, I have created a new user and kstars seems to run on that (at the moment) but I have not had much chance to see how robust it is.

It does seem to suggest that something has been left behind when I deleted the files.

Also, when I tried to re-download I got nothing from Safari and Chrome just said that the page does not work. I used the old disc image which I had in a back up.

I would like to get back to using Kstars/Ekos on my main user account (I also have a separate "Administrator" account for security.

Thanks,

JH
6 years 3 weeks ago #23871

2.9.3 for Mac is available for download, try again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nMAC
6 years 3 weeks ago #23872

So the real issue here is that kstars requires certain files to be present to run, the files in the data directory and the kstarsrc preferences file. There are also language and astrometry files but they are optional. The preferences file is recreated if it is not found but the data directory needs to be copied to the right place with all of its files inside. I wrote some code awhile back that checks if the data directory is present and if not it gives you the option to copy it from inside the app to the right place. But of course if some files inside the data directory got deleted somehow but the directory is still present, it won’t work. So far this is the first two times this has happened since I ported kstars to Mac. I would like to know which files got deleted and why. Try emptying the trash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Hulme
6 years 3 weeks ago #23877

Don‘t know if it helps.
I managed to force kstars to ask for copying the data file again by deleting it and emptying the trash. This was, because kstars kept crashing to desktop when i wanted to start it again.
Then i had a session WITHOUT a crash, some hours maybe...
Another session crashed then after about 1 hour. The funny thing about this is, that NOW, i was able to start without crash now. And that is the status quo right now.
I do admit, that i have not yet installed the latest version.
What i want to say is, that i am not able to somehow reproduce the crash. Unfortunately it crashes totally random...

Cheers
Niki

Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 3 weeks ago #23880

Just checking, when you installed kstars, you didn't try to run it from the dmg correct? You just dragged the app from the dmg to your applications folder right?
6 years 3 weeks ago #23881

Yes, drag and drop to applications.

6 years 3 weeks ago #23882

Time to create page: 1.943 seconds